Are we too preoccupied with scores/ Placements ?

As I look at the many threads the last 2 days, there seems to me to be lots of emphasis on whether this corps or that corps is " better " than last year. The definition of " better "seems to be defined as in " scoring ", and " placement possibilities ". While I recognize the importance of " scoring " and "placements " (it is afterall a competitive activity ), my evaluation and appreciation of a Corps tends not to be defined by " scoring ", nor " placements " so much. I tend to define " better " with an enjoyment quotient as the major yardstick. Am I the only one here defining " better " in this fashion ?

For instance, it is my belief that years from now, it is not the placements outside of first place that most people will recall so much as the level of enjoyment that a particular Corps provided. When we look at the Corps that we see voted into the Classic Countdown we have annually in the movie theatres, the vast majority of the Corps selected by the fans nationwide were not first place finishers that particular year. Last year, I enjoyed the Crossmen, SCV, Phantom, Southwind, etc more so than Corps that finished higher than these Corps in " scores " and " placements ". For me, these Corps were hugely successful, irrespective of "scoring " or " placements ". So I just wanted to add my 2 cents worth here that at least for this poster " better " has a different definition than a few other posters on this forum.

As I look at the many threads the last 2 days, there seems to me to be lots of emphasis on whether this corps or that corps is " better " than last year. The definition of " better "seems to be defined as in " scoring ", and " placement possibilities ". While I recognize the importance of " scoring " and "placements " (it is afterall a competitive activity ), my evaluation and appreciation of a Corps tends not to be defined by " scoring ", nor " placements " so much. I tend to define " better " with an enjoyment quotient as the major yardstick. Am I the only one here defining " better " in this fashion ?

For instance, it is my belief that years from now, it is not the placements outside of first place that most people will recall so much as the level of enjoyment that a particular Corps provided. When we look at the Corps that we see voted into the Classic Countdown we have annually in the movie theatres, the vast majority of the Corps selected by the fans nationwide were not first place finishers that particular year. Last year, I enjoyed the Crossmen, SCV, Phantom, Southwind, etc more so than Corps that finished higher than these Corps in " scores " and " placements ". For me, these Corps were hugely successful, irrespective of "scoring " or " placements ". So I just wanted to add my 2 cents worth here that at least for this poster " better " has a different definition than a few other posters on this forum.

For the Classic Countdown, "better" is defined in terms of popularity.

For personal measurement, "better" can mean level of entertainment value, competitive stature, or something arbitrary like how close the corps' home base is to the fan's home.

One of the things scores measures is how well the corps performed. An improved score means that the corps is indeed getting better, cleaning their show and improving the effect of their performance in the eyes of the judges.

Just because you have a different definition of "better" than other posters does not necessarily mean that they are "too preoccupied with scores/placements".

Its Drum Corps season.

Of COURSE we're going to want scores and recaps!

For the Classic Countdown, "better" is defined in terms of popularity.

For personal measurement, "better" can mean level of entertainment value, competitive stature, or something arbitrary like how close the corps' home base is to the fan's home.

One of the things scores measures is how well the corps performed. An improved score means that the corps is indeed getting better, cleaning their show and improving the effect of their performance in the eyes of the judges.

Just because you have a different definition of "better" than other posters does not necessarily mean that they are "too preoccupied with scores/placements".

For the record though, I did not state that " people were too preoccupied with scoring and placements ". Perhaps a reread of my post should help clarify that for you. I posed my thread in the form of a question. I allowed for posters the right to define " better " in the fashion that they define it. I never said they " were too preoccupied " with scoring and placements. If " scoring " and " placement possibilities " is their definition of " better than last year ", or a member can get to practices easier this year, or whatever, and that defines the corps as " better " for them, that's ok too. I merely wanted to respond that " better " has more definitions than the multiple threads below that seemed to have a singular definition for " better " as in " scoring " and in " placement possibilities " this year.

Edited by X DM

Its Drum Corps season.

Of COURSE we're going to want scores and recaps!

scores and recaps are wanted by me as well. But again, " better " for me is not defined so much by " scoring " and " placements " as it is by my personal enjoyment quotient. People are certainly entitled to defer to the judges determination on what is " better ". I have no problem with that. Simply allow me the right to define " better " perhaps a little differently. I recognize the difficulty judges have. They are judging completely dissimilar shows on the part of the contestents. And on Finals Night they sit 100 yards up in a booth and the judge has to listen thru the din of crowd noise for the final musical movement of the Corps to determine which Corps performed it " better ". I appreciate the difficulty of this. I simply define whether a corps is" better " this year than last year a little differently than some posters have defined " better ", with some of the other threads here the last 2 days, that's all.

Edited by X DM

Nope. Statistics are a part of life, and keeping my spreadsheets during the summer is part of the fun.

Poring over spreadsheets and statistics, etc from various judges at various shows to see what the judges think can be a cool enterprise for folks. I have no problem with it. Why should I ? It's not my call,and it's not my time, etc.

Edited by X DM

For the record though, I did not state that " people were too preoccupied with scoring and placements ". Perhaps a reread of my post should help clarify that for you. I posed my thread in the form of a question. I allowed for posters the right to define " better " in the fashion that they define it. I never said they " were too preoccupied " with scoring and placements. If " scoring " and " placement possibilities " is their definition of " better than last year ", or a member can get to practices easier this year, or whatever, and that defines the corps as " better " for them, that's ok too. I merely wanted to respond that " better " has more definitions than the multiple threads below that seemed to have a singular definition for " better " as in " scoring " and in " placement possibilities " this year.

For the record, the thread title is "Are we too preoccupied with scores/ Placements ?"

I answered the question in your thread title.

To answer the question of the original poster…YES.

Corps fans are way too preoccupied with scores and results…don’t get me wrong, scores are interesting and important…this is a competition after all. But, I think we lose sight of the fact that the activity centers around the concept of entertainment. That’s why they are called “shows”! Who cares about whether the Cadets repeat or whether SCV is back in the top 5, I just want to see good corps pulling off exciting, accessible, and entertaining shows. But, I know I’m in the minority.

The idea that one can like a performance better than another performance that was technically better has completely eluded an entire generation of drum corps fans.

For the record, the thread title is "Are we too preoccupied with scores/ Placements ?"

I answered the question in your thread title.

True, I ASKED a question as to whether or not posters here think we might be too preoccupied with scores and placements. I did not state that those who might be doing so are wrong, or should not be doing so, etc nor did I say that " better" CAN'T be interpreted as " scoring", and " placements ". I think now it's pretty clear what we both said....... and think..... regarding the multiple interpretatons of " better " and it's personal biases.

Edited by X DM