Glassmen's closer

For those of you who haven't seen the 2006 Glassmen yet (and probably won't for a long time unless you live in Europe), their closer is centered around "Ode To Joy". At one point the whole ensemble is playing it, then somewhere in the middle of the 3rd phrase everyone starts dropping out, and they're marching around to silent drill. Even the drummers are "air drumming". During the clinic before the show yesterday in Toledo, Brian Hickman explained that this was to represent Beethoven going deaf, although he could still hear the music in his head and see what the musicians were doing.

I feel like the DM should turn around and conduct the crowd as if asking them to sing along, 'cause everyone knows "Ode To Joy"! Well, not everyone knows the words, but that's OK, we'll sing without words, like soccer fans. Maybe the soccer fans they perform for in Europe will do it!

Oh, and speaking of european Glassmen fans... Who is that guy who was like at every single one of their shows for the past 5 years or so, waving a British flag and whistling before they started their show? And he wasn't there last night at Toledo. Who is he? Support staff? Why wasn't here there last night? Is he waiting for them in Europe?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For those of you who haven't seen the 2006 Glassmen yet (and probably won't for a long time unless you live in Europe), their closer is centered around "Ode To Joy". At one point the whole ensemble is playing it, then somewhere in the middle of the 3rd phrase everyone starts dropping out, and they're marching around to silent drill. Even the drummers are "air drumming". During the clinic before the show yesterday in Toledo, Brian Hickman explained that this was to represent Beethoven going deaf, although he could still hear the music in his head and see what the musicians were doing.

I feel like the DM should turn around and conduct the crowd as if asking them to sing along, 'cause everyone knows "Ode To Joy"! Well, not everyone knows the words, but that's OK, we'll sing without words, like soccer fans. Maybe the soccer fans they perform for in Europe will do it!

Oh, and speaking of european Glassmen fans... Who is that guy who was like at every single one of their shows for the past 5 years or so, waving a British flag and whistling before they started their show? And he wasn't there last night at Toledo. Who is he? Support staff? Why wasn't here there last night? Is he waiting for them in Europe?

I think this would ruin the effect.

At one point the whole ensemble is playing it, then somewhere in the middle of the 3rd phrase everyone starts dropping out, and they're marching around to silent drill. Even the drummers are "air drumming". During the clinic before the show yesterday in Toledo, Brian Hickman explained that this was to represent Beethoven going deaf, although he could still hear the music in his head and see what the musicians were doing.

On the basis of concept alone, this is one of the coolest things I've heard a corps try in a long time. Neat!

Nice idea. Hope it translates to the field well. Can't wait to see their show. I don't think people should probably sing along, as that could ruin the possible effect.

I met him a few years ago. I forget his name but he's the amazing guy who came over from England with his daughter when she first started to march there. Being English I had an easy time starting a conversation with someone waving a Union Jack around. He's full of energy, love for the Glassmen and pride in his daughter. A dedicated father, great guy and I'm truly glad I started a conversation with him.

Jim

I definitely like that idea. I hope it works well on the field. .... and I hope no one sings along...

if the crowd stays quiet, then this would create what i think is the most unusuall, chilling and maybe even mesmerizing effects seen in a long time, if not ever.

Knowing Brian, if he wanted the audience to sing along during that segment, he'd have suggested it during the clinic.