Prelude to the Bakersfield (CA) show

Having a stick thrown at you is a honor. That means they know you can do better and are demanding of you. Go SCV staff!! Drive'em hard and bring back California's perpetual claim to a third of the top six!!

There are other ways to motivate...

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was the target of a staff member's stick a few times. It didn't make me feel disrespected, or embarassed...it made me feel like not sucking anymore.

Sucking is bad... not sucking is good!

Having a stick thrown at you... its just drum corps. No harm, no foul. If you are wimpy enough to whine becuase a stick hit your feet, you don't belong in drum corps, none the less a top 12 corps. (sounds worse than I meant it, but feel free to flame away!)

As for the heat, after spedning the majority of my youth in Bakersfield, and most of my marching summers at the other end of the San Juaqiun(sp?) Valley, it's freaking hot! In the mid 90's byu the time rehearsal starts in the morning, and in the triple digits before lunch. Hot is hot, doesn't matter where you are at.

Edited by Newseditor44

Judging by the fact that the stick is spinning in the opposite direction that it would be if it was thrown at someone it's my deduction that it was an accident. I think it would be pretty hard to throw a stick with backspin like that at someone on purpose at that angle. Looks like someone was spinning it and dropped it.

Warning: :ramd:

I was really disappointed when it comes to the media coverage of this show. Not that I expected that much from the Bakersfield Californian, I mean it's pretty common knowledge here in Bakersfield that they're an atrocious newspaper, but it would have nice to have at least named the "six other corps" (of which there were only five, good research Californian...) that were at the show. What about Fever? Pacific Crest? Or what about the 10 members of BDB that are FROM Bakersfield?

I just watched the 11:00 news and the channel that covered it did 10 seconds or less of "and there was a drum corps thing today... the Vanguard Band was there..." (Yes, they said Vanguard Band). No mention of any other corps, and they showed the Vanguard Cadets, not the Vanguard. It honestly looked like they sent a single guy out with a video camera to get 10 seconds worth of footage and come back. Ugh.

Ok. I'm done. Positive conversation may now resume. :)

Edited by MagicBobert