Which is the better option?

Which is the better option for a community based corps?  

128 members have voted

1. 1. DCA corps or II/III corps?

• Organize as a DCA corps and maintain tradition/image
    • Stay in II/III and struggle with recruiting
    • Go inactive because of inability to recruit enough members to participate as a junior corps

snip....

My major question is still this, why don't we get any support? Isn't the program we offered one that would strengthen all band members? Keeping a horn on a kid's face all summer should count for something yet it seems we are not endorsed by the local bands. Why when we have a great show in just 2 weeks are there only 2 local bands that have taken us up on the discounted tickets we provide? It seems that we might not be giving them what they either want or need. This is where my concerns are right now. Maybe we've outlived our usefulness.

To everybody that's still out there - I wish you all the best! I promise not to post any more novels!

I can only speak from my experience, but when I was in high school marching band (way back when we had to march around dinosaurs and covered wagons) our band director was "violently" anti-corps. "Drum corps would ruin our chops, it would ruin our high step marching, make us sterile, etc.". Why the fear? I was never able to figure that out. But we were pressured from day one to not even look in the direction of drum corps. Something, thankfully, I choose to ignore. :ph34r:

I can only imagine that some band directors still feel that way.

Michael

No sig yet, sorry. Move along....

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can only speak from my experience, but when I was in high school marching band (way back when we had to march around dinosaurs and covered wagons) our band director was "violently" anti-corps. "Drum corps would ruin our chops, it would ruin our high step marching, make us sterile, etc.". Why the fear? I was never able to figure that out. But we were pressured from day one to not even look in the direction of drum corps. Something, thankfully, I choose to ignore. :huh:

I can only imagine that some band directors still feel that way.

Michael

No sig yet, sorry. Move along....

We have a bunch of directors here in Texas that are very ani-corps as well (Not all, and a few are even with us every weekend!). We even had a high school member lie to the band director about why she was missing the Labor Day weekend football game. You would think the director would be happy a student took the initative to learn a new instrument and play throughout the summer and become a better musician, but anything that might possibly take away from BOA is taboo.

Isn't it funny how many band programs copy from DCI, then do not want the kids to do Drum Corps???

just a friendly off-season bump

Chris;

Another thing that I found out a month or so ago is very interesting.

I asked DCA (OFFICIALS) about the idea of local DivII/III corps being allowed to join DCA. (and not as a seperate Div)

IE;

Spartan's, East Coast Jazz, Jersey Surf.

Since DCA has "NO AGE" requirements. (You DO NOT have to have a single person be 18 or above.)

I was told YES they could Join if they wanted. Just had to fill out the forms and pay dues and what not.

Not that any of those mentioned would do that.

BUT...There is nothing to stop them though.

SO>>>>>>>>>>> Yes they or any one ( DIV I II III) who wanted to Could.

But like you all know and other threads have talked about. Unless they went to the season ending Championships. They would alway's have to go on early (First)) and would not get to vote in DCA.

Edited by LucysSkylinerAlumni

IMHO, if you open up to an all age corps, you have more potential members available to you. Don't get me wrong, I'm not downing the DCI corps, that is not my intent.

And DII/III corps are allowed an equal vote in DCI?

Oh, I know they have no vote in DCI. So they would Lose Nothing by ALSO joining DCA. They would be judged just like everyother DCA Corps. The thing is, it could Open more DCA shows if some Div II and III corps joined.

It is my understanding that most Div II and III groups are mostly local in membership. Would that not allow them to compete longer than the Big Touring "Brass Band Field Therater groups"? No need for Amps or Hired Singers and such either. Maybe even going to the season ending DCA Championships.

Like I say. DCA OFFICIAL said and I Quote

"All they have to do is Fill out all the paper work, and pay dues". It should not effect their DCI status any either. They could still do that also. (as long as No one goes over 21/22 years old.) Sure would Open things up. Look how many shows it could add for BOTH DCA Corps in areas without a lot of other DCA Corps. Then too the Div II/III groups would be able to add some Extra Local shows (Competitions) and Save a ton of MONEY.

The problem with a younger DCA corps is that by labor day many schools are already in session. Even if your school starts after labor day, your band camp started two or three weeks before then. It's already an issue for some parents who are doing DCA corps, since August ends up being #### month. No weekends off AND your kid(s) are starting school.

The problem with a younger DCA corps is that by labor day many schools are already in session. Even if your school starts after labor day, your band camp started two or three weeks before then. It's already an issue for some parents who are doing DCA corps, since August ends up being #### month. No weekends off AND your kid(s) are starting school.

but on the other hand, kids in DCA corps can keep summer jobs by doing weekend only corps, also, they can still make the summer band camps and rehearsals, by NOT being on the road all summer,.................

The two big conflicts are band camp and football games.Most schools football games are friday night. Band camps are only issue if you are coming home late saturday or sunday morning and the kids have to be at away camp that sunday afternoon. Most band directors will allow a kid to miss one football game but are not always agreeable about missing band camp.

The two big conflicts are band camp and football games.Most schools football games are friday night. Band camps are only issue if you are coming home late saturday or sunday morning and the kids have to be at away camp that sunday afternoon. Most band directors will allow a kid to miss one football game but are not always agreeable about missing band camp.

IMO,

(1) Some band directors ought to get their priorities in order. Music education is NOT about marching band.

(2) A kid that marches with ANY corps is going to be way better off than a kid who sat around the pool all summer, missing a day of band camp isn't going to make much difference for the corps kid.

(3) If, as a parent, I tell my kid he/she can't go to band camp because of some other more important obligation, I CHALLENGE any band director to penalize my kid for missing the camp. I'm the parent. And I would hold the local school board totally responsible for any penalty imposed on the kid.

(Funny thing is, most band directors KNOW that they can't follow through on many of the threats they make. They use the threats to intimidate the kids and the parents. That's a lousy way to run a program.)