Which is the better option?

Which is the better option for a community based corps?  

128 members have voted

1. 1. DCA corps or II/III corps?

• Organize as a DCA corps and maintain tradition/image
    • Stay in II/III and struggle with recruiting
    • Go inactive because of inability to recruit enough members to participate as a junior corps

First, your poll answers are biased.

Second, DCA should be where a corps *wants* to go. Or D3. Whatever. Your question sounds like relegation.

Third, I think at some point, drum corps as an activity will consolidate into two main categories -- touring and weekenders. It makes too much sense. If DCA becomes the neighborhood/AAA division, and follows its values to promote weekenders and such, it could work. Corps start in DCA, and get "promoted" to DCI when they want to tour on a national scale.

This is total conjecture, but you heard it hear first... once DCA (if they ever do) gets truly national, DCI will shed D3 to DCA. DCI will be two divisions, and both will be 135 under 22's. DCA will incubate "small" corps by allowing the 22+ to develop the younger kids. DCI will have the bright lights, DCA will have the local shows. Drum corps as an activity thrives.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is a good thread so far way to go chris ...

when I was marching in a Div 2/3 corps most people would not march because They had to make money, or my girl/boyfriend wont let me with the weekend thing most are able to still do it ... now will an ex div 2/3 corps survive in dca some will some wont that is how life works but the same goes with DCi some make it some don't

now I still totally dig DCI .. buit I dont see as much going on with Div 2/3 these days plus not having all of the smaller circuts like (dcm, odca, etc) there are not as many shows for these corps

Edited by bscontra

I answered reorganize to DCA corps, but not just because I march in DCA.

My thinking was that it would be better to keep the organization and core (as in center/foundation, not corps) group of performers together and continue to produce a show. Otherwise, if you go inactive, you risk losing those people to another corps and when you are ready to hit the field again, they may not return. Since they have moved on to another program, this could make it harder in recruiting a full corps because they probably took other friends from the area with them also.

Don't think I am that biased, at least it wasn't my intention.

This is really stemming from the corps that folded that were community based and couldn't keep enough numbers to continue as a DCI corps. Some *may* have considered DCA as a way to continue, some *may* not have.

I would never force any corps into ANYTHING. I have been involved way too long on the admin side of things to suggest that.

What I am offering by creating this poll, is a different way to look at things for a corps that isn't nationalized and struggling to recruit numbers in their community (ESP when that corps has a long history that would be appreciated in the DCA world)

Would I love to see Marion Cadets come back as a DCA corps and the US Open re-emerge, only this time as a DCA show? YES! Would I love to see an all-female corps at DCA? (Bandettes), YES!, and Americanos, Lake Erie Regiment, and any corps that has listed recruiting as a reason they are unable to be in DCI. (Again, I am not speaking to any corps specific situation, as no one really knows those situations but the corps themselves.

And if these corps (and more) were to come back, host an all-age show, there would be more performance opportunities like there used to be with DCM, Garden State, ODCA, etc.

I believe in community corps, just seeing it being a harder and harder challenge to produce these on the junior level, and would rather see that part of the activity reform than disappear

Would I love to see Marion Cadets come back as a DCA corps and the US Open re-emerge, only this time as a DCA show? YES! Would I love to see an all-female corps at DCA? (Bandettes), YES!, and Americanos, Lake Erie Regiment, and any corps that has listed recruiting as a reason they are unable to be in DCI. (Again, I am not speaking to any corps specific situation, as no one really knows those situations but the corps themselves.

And if these corps (and more) were to come back, host an all-age show, there would be more performance opportunities like there used to be with DCM, Garden State, ODCA, etc.

I believe in community corps, just seeing it being a harder and harder challenge to produce these on the junior level, and would rather see that part of the activity reform than disappear

I would love to see these corps come back too. But I'm not sure that them switching to DCA would make them stronger. They had several different problems that caused them to cease activity, lack of membership was only one of them. They need to solve their individual internal problems before they worry about where they're going. But, if they can reorganize themselves and build up a core of members, absolutely consider DCA, if DCA will consider them. DCI isn't providing good opportunities for smaller corps, IMO, compared to what they used to do. DCM isn't active anymore so there's really nobody that's allowing these corps into their shows (which doesn't help their recruiting).

I am no expert on this...you are in admin so maybe you would know....

Would there be legal/corporation issues if a corps defined as a non-profit youth organization decided to permit adults?

It all depends on how you are set -up. You CAN be an all-age corps with a youth AND community focus. And if you run more programs than just a corps (which I HIGHLY suggest), then you can really help your community and fulfill your bylaws/501c3

One EXCELLENT example is how Carolina Crown has been doing Middle School Honor bands. Crown's average age isn't really *youth* anymore, and with so much competition for spots, it's really the already talented kids that can pay that get spots in most of Division I. It seems Crown in this way (and others) are trying to benefit youth any way they can with their organization. Plus the benefits of having a corps of Crown's ablilities inspiring youths who aren't ready to peform with Crown to achieve.

Another way All-age corps can help keep the focus right, is to have scholarships for *youths* to march in a Division I corps. The student marches with the all-age corps to gain experience, save money, attend school, etc, and the all-age corps is able to provide scholarship to the student to march Division I the following year. I know several corps do this.