converting APDS for Mac

so I'm trying to be able to put the apds on my ipod. I had to download Windows Media Player to hear them but it just plays them and wont convert. The FAQ on season pass says that easyWMA is freeware, but it's not...it costs 10 bucks. I already spent nearly that on the recordings. Any suggestions??

so I'm trying to be able to put the apds on my ipod. I had to download Windows Media Player to hear them but it just plays them and wont convert. The FAQ on season pass says that easyWMA is freeware, but it's not...it costs 10 bucks. I already spent nearly that on the recordings. Any suggestions??

Old versions of EasyWMA are freeware...the key is finding the old version. I'm surprised DCI has that up there...they started charging for it last year, I think.

I believe you can rip them to iTunes and convert them to whatever format you want to. That's what I did for the APD's I downloaded last year where I wanted them in mp3 format rather than Windows Media.

i tried importing on itunes and also tried to just add to the library...neither did anything. so does someone possibly have an old version of easyWMA to share?

I downloaded Glassmen on my mac today and have already cranked it up on my iPod and Bose. I use WireTap Pro, then convert in iTunes to AAC.

I bought WireTap a couple of years ago, so I forget the price but i think you can get a demo copy and use it for a couple of days before you have to buy it.

i tried importing on itunes and also tried to just add to the library...neither did anything. so does someone possibly have an old version of easyWMA to share?

When I import them into iTunes it says they are WMA files and must be converted and does it for me. Do you have the latest iTunes?

I think if you have the latest iTunes software that the APDs can be downloaded and imported into iTunes with no problems. If you download them via MP3 it should work fine. If you download them as WMA files, then I believe only the latest version of iTunes will translate and convert for you. The older versions will not. There was an agreement between Apple and Microsoft that iTunes and WMA would not be compatible for a while so that each company could push their platform. Most companies did this, including Real Player. BUt now that iTunes and the iPod have proven to be the dominant market force, with over 90% share of the MP3 internet and player market, there is more pressure on the other companies to now be compatible with Apple.

My version of iTunes also just converts the WMA files, or MP3 files. It can also concert AIFF to MP3 or vice versa, and WAV to AIFF or MP3, and more. Before downloading the latest version of iTunes, be sure to check for the compatibility of your system.

Jonathan

EasyWMA continues to be available online in its freeware version (actually, donateware, but free to use).

Here's a link:

http://www.zoom.idg.pl/ftp/pobierz/mac/298.html

click on the box that says "Basic FTP Pobierz" and it downloads automatically. happens to be in another language but whatever...freeware sites are freeware sites.

that's the free version. again, as I noted, newer versions are NOT free. but this version isn't a newer one.

it's called "easywma.dmg" which is how I found that link.

Hopefully I'm not ticking off anyone at DCP by posting a link to freeware. If I am, some friendly mod can edit this.

EasyWMA is 10 dollars, which goes to support the development of the library underlying it, and is very inexpensive as far as software goes.

What I found today, when I downloaded to my Mac and went thru the whole process of getting the files on my iPod was:

* iTunes Mac does NOT import WMA files. The PC version does allow it, on the other hand, and, there seems to be misinformation out there that implies the mac iTunes does. Nope.

* The APD WMA files are unprotected, so you can indeed convert them. If they were protected, apparently you cannot convert them.

* EasyWMA, 10 dollar shareware, seems indeed to be the best answer at this time, though I checked around for various answers. When I bought it, I paid via PayPal, and, you have to click the "return to merchant" on the last screen during your payment process. This takes you to the download page for the unlocked version.

* EasyWMA allows you to convert, then import to iTunes into a PlayList. You can import as WAV, M4A or MP3. The APD WMAs are 196 bit, and in EasyWMA you can choose the bitrate, up to, what, 320? Anyway, I tried a few combinations, and you get bigger files when you go higher bitrate which makes sense, except they sound the same since the source is 196 bit. In the end, I did an MP3 at 196 bit import, and these were acceptable quality and size.

Hope this info helps.

Kind regards,

Rick

EasyWMA is 10 dollars, which goes to support the development of the library underlying it, and is very inexpensive as far as software goes.

No argument with $10 being "reasonable" to buy the latest and greatest, if that's what you need, but...you bring up an interesting question.

AAC encoding, universal binary for intel machines, and japanese support aren't things I need. I also don't need Dutch support. I don't have an Intel mac and I've never been fond of AAC.

For an example with broader implication, take Microsoft convincing me to buy the new version of Office when the old version works fine. The new version has to have features that I need--and when it does, I buy it immediately. Just because someone releases something new doesn't mean old versions stop working (example: Office; and this program, the old version of which the programmer didn't even bother to remove from the freeware site).

The change in licenses from freeware to shareware isn't retroactive for old versions. Free versions were the only versions for the first 16 months, meaning all the bugs were worked out with people trying it. The programmer got value for that.

Of course, if you find you use the program all the time (I don't, by the way...I burn APD's on my office computer with WMP to disc, and listen to them in the car) then by all means--consider a donation or buy the latest version.