Crossmen Review

Here's a no-nonsense review of what I saw:

I did not see the guard, just horns and drums.

Wow! I really dig the design, particularly the visual design of the show. There are many, many, many great things going on here! The opener screams Bones, reminiscent of the 1998 show in many ways. If you're looking for that Crossmen groove, this movement is for you. I'm also hearing a couple great lead trumpet guys who really hung in there on one of those dry, bumpy, some grass here and there field that kicked up more dust than a Kansas tornado.

The radio portion of the show had me a bit nervous during the season, but now I feel it could be one of the best moments at any drum corps show they attend. There is a unique-ness to this part of the show that has been lacking in many years. Just like a road trip with no XM radio, the corps keeps changing channels. There is a bit of narration during this part, but tasteful and VERY APPROPRIATE. Listen closely during this part...you will hear some funny stuff! The corps also showcases varying styles and settings throughout this section which shouldn't go unnoticed by fans and judges. Very clever.

The ballad is beautiful! One thing that struck me was the balance of the hornline...Baritones have a great sound and no one was popping out of balance. Another great moment.

I believe they are finishing up the remainder of the show as you read this and will be prepared for a wonderful run this summer. I couldn't be more proud of the Crossmen this season.

This will be one of my favorite Crossmen shows ever.

Thanks Drew,

I went to check out the corps on their last day in Monticello watched them perform a dress run through. As an alum of the corps I always try to have a positive outlook on what they will do but I admit I was very nervous about when I heard they were doing a radio section. All worries went away however when I saw it performed. Very clever and well done. Bobby Jones' drill is really great and the members are doing a good job with it. Once they get it cleaned I have no doubt they will be back in the finals hunt again. The Brass line is MUCH stronger than it was last year. They have a much wider dynamic range and seem to be more aware of balance and blend. The Drumline is doing some great things and the Guard is really fantastic.

I took a look at their schedule and looks like they did a great job of making sure there is plenty of rehearsal time this year. Should be beneficial for them as they are climbing back into the hunt.

Thanks Drew - Nice Job.

I recently saw a complete run through two days ago when I traveled to Warrenton to pick up my daughter from the corps for her graduation. When she explained the show to me, including the "Radio" segment, I was attempting to understand what she was talking about. I volunteered as a driver a couple of weeks ago for a parade swing through New England and watched the corps rehearse and never heard that segment. When I finally saw and heard it I was floored !! What an idea !! :ph34r: My daughter is so impressed with the entire staff this year. She keeps telling me that they are way ahead of last years corps at this same time of the season.

There is raw power, wicked fast moving drill, great guard work, etc, etc ... true Crossmen. My congratulations to Bobby Jones, Jimmy Steele and all the techs and staff for really bringing it all together. I cannot wait until the first show in Cheasapeak on Monday to see where they stand.

Ken

Gauchos 77

Thanks Drew for the update! I heard the radio segment as it was pieced together at the winter camps- can't wait to see how it looks on the field.

I believe the corps is in Warrenton through Saturday night at Fauquier High. A nice treat for us Virginny folk who don't get to see drum corps until the teams come around for a show.

Performance will definitely be the key for them. They need to play well (and play together), drum well, spin well, march well, and do it consistently. Right now, they are fighting the consistency battle, which is to be expected as they deal with physical and musical maturity issues throughout the corps.

But the show, in my opinion, is their best from a coordination standpoint in about a decade. A wonderful vehicle...no pun intended!

Go get em Bones!

I can't wait until Monday!

Well you guys have me excited to see the corps already..

Sure sounds like better news than this time last year, that's for sure.. B)

Geddy,

How the heck are you? I guess it's been about 16 years since we marched. Hope things are well! I can't wait to see the corps either!

Thanks for the review DREW.

hope all is cool in your world.

CROSSMEN see you all very soon. keep working.

STOP Measuring about the LAST FEW seasons.

you potential is unlimited. Be the best you can be.

STEELE ---YBBTFO

the VIVOO is gone.

CHEZ