Cadets Show

It makes more sense, now that I know the title. I saw the Powder Springs show, not knowing the theme. I kept asking the guy next to me why they had an albino on the field. (Not a slight against albinos, I just couldn't figure out what he was supposed to be.) There was way too much going on, all at once. I could never figure out where I was supposed to be watching. Also, the singer covered up the ballad. I could barely here the horns, and when I did, it was because the singer was off key. I never did understand last year's show, either. Call me old fashioned, but all I need out of a show is some high, loud notes. All this abstract, think about it type shows makes my head hurt.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, the singer covered up the ballad. I could barely here the horns, and when I did, it was because the singer was off key. I never did understand last year's show, either. Call me old fashioned, but all I need out of a show is some high, loud notes. All this abstract, think about it type shows makes my head hurt.

1. The vocals need to go from that part if not ALL the show.

2. Although I didn't LIKE them, she was NOT off key. :laugh:

Cheers, :huh:

Sean

w/Stp:

Sean

w/Stp:

I can see where Erick's comment is coming from. From the recording I've heard (from within the past week), there are parts in which the vocalist sounds off-key, although I'm sure it's just an early season thing that will be fixed as the season moves on. However, as I said before, I don't like the vocals at all. I'm sure they will make more sense after seeing a video of the show, but at this point they're just covering up the brass.

Edited by thelittleman

Sean

w/Stp:

She was off key at the start.

I have not seen the show, but it concerns me that DCI has not sent a "message" that this isn't a trend they want to see continue.

I know we maintain the illusion that the best corps wins, but throughout the history of the activity, from Tony Schlechta at the VFW to Don Angelica in the early days of DCI (and Mickey Petrone in DCA) when shows started to take the activity where it didn't want to go, the message was sent.

I can only conclude that either the current leadership supports this WGI/BOA approach or that they're truly too inept to stop it.

I have not seen the show, but it concerns me that DCI has not sent a "message" that this isn't a trend they want to see continue.

Not that I like singing, etc. (b/c I really don't. I'll be open minded and see the show, but yeah)

anywho......

I'm not sure that DCI (as a company/group, whatever) could be expected at this point to send a message about this trend....

what would this message be? to whom would it be sent? Who gets to sign their name at the bottom of it, and how many people really agree with it?

again, not supporting singing or amps, or anything really. Just saying that the opinions of some is not equal to the opinions of all.

:shrug: (just food for thought)

Not that I like singing, etc. (b/c I really don't. I'll be open minded and see the show, but yeah)

anywho......

I'm not sure that DCI (as a company/group, whatever) could be expected at this point to send a message about this trend....

what would this message be? to whom would it be sent? Who gets to sign their name at the bottom of it, and how many people really agree with it?

again, not supporting singing or amps, or anything really. Just saying that the opinions of some is not equal to the opinions of all.

:shrug: (just food for thought)

DCI, DCA and the veteran's organizations before them have been very effective in letting corps know that they were heading down an unwanted path or, conversely, that a show was worth seeing even though it was less than competitive.

As to the who and what, just follow what's been done before.

BTW, while I find no positive contribution from amps, when used as they were intended I see no threat from them either. I had to admit last week in Toledo that they were really irrelavent to the 4 shows I enjoyed. In fact, the only show that I didn't enjoy was completely acoustic. It's not the amps, it's the egos.

As for singing, 11 minutes goes by too quickly for featured singing. A full ensemble phrase such as 00 Boston is a nice fit. A 2 minute feature song changes the concept of a drum corps show (that was based on seeing CC in 04. I haven't seen the Cadets yet).

I took it to be an interpretation of Alice in Wonderland...hence the "Through the Looking Glass" and Alice, rabbit, mad hatter, and queen of spades characters. Also did you not pick up (hear) the references to time (from the rabbit), eat me/drink me (from the mad hatter), and escape (Alice during the ballad). Also the tables used in the 2nd number and ballad portions representating the mad tea party.

There were PLENTY of much more confusing shows tonight...Teal Sound, Magic, Southwind, and Boston. None made 'sense' to me from a conceptual vantage.

Cheers, :laugh:

Sean

w/Stp:

I agree, while the Cadets have some focus and clarity issues to work out from a design standpoint their show made more sense to me than Magic and Southwind. Boston's was somewhere in between. It didn't make sense on a conscience level but some part of me "got" it.