Texas Drum Corps Preview

The 2nd annual Texas Drum Corps Preview was Saturday 6-24 in Austin. Here are some random thoughts from the day:

Location-Texas State Capital Steps. Pretty cool. There was free parking all around because it was the weekend, and a big park about a block away for the groups to practice and warm-up. Lots of locals hanging around and checking the groups out in the park. One bad thing-very few restrooms, and the girls was locked tight :( But, the park did have drinking fountains, so that was cool. And lots of trees for shade, a must in Texas. The Capital had plenty of room for all the groups to arch up to play and do guard work, and the echo from the surronding buildings was very cool.

Oh yeah, the lady at the library next door does not like it when the horn line warms up under the window in the reading room.

First up: Gulf Coast Sound---DCA Class A

(Biased opinion...) We looked great in our new uniforms, but some alterations need to be done yet. I think we sounded pretty good, not the best of the year (And it gets better every day!), but not too bad. Our guard has work for the whole show done, but I guess it was kinda messy (From their mouth, not mine. I can't see anything but Nicki during a show) It was very cool when our big hit in Unchained Melody echoed throughout downtown! Thanks to Trinity for letting me use some of your pit stuff!

2nd: Trinity---DCI Div III (?)

I hung around the drum line and pit in the park when they were warming up, they have REALLY improved over last year, and even since we saw them at Drum Corps Tigars in May. I don't know the real numbers, but they are about twice the size of last year I think. Cool music from what I heard, did not get to see much of the performance because I was sitting with equipment. I am not sure they have the whole show yet, the performance seemed a bit short. They did the show in jeans and tee-shirts, but you knew they meant business by the great way they marched on and off stage-someone has done their basics!

3rd: Frontier---DCA Open Class

Frontier is also bigger than last year, and is sounding pretty good. They have pretty clean, crisp guard work for the first 1/3 or so of the show. Guard looked good in red tops with black pants, corp was in full uniform from last year. Cool duet in the ballad with a contra and a something (Bari??? I don't remember). My snare buddy next to me said they had a good line and has improved from last year, and he knows way more about that then me!

4th: Revolution---DCI Div I

They used the "Dr. Beat" during each song, but over that they sounded great. Full sound, good balance, pretty good tuning, and all that good stuff. They only part I could see was the guard, who where on the top of the steps instead of below like the other groups. They did great, the rifle work was very fast and cool, and we only saw one saber drop later in the show. Guard was in all random black, not sure if that is there uniform or if they are waiting for something to come in, but it was nice looking either way. The corps looked great in full uniform, marched on and off stage very well-head up, roll steps, the whole package.

Finale---All horns from the 4 groups

After Revolution all 4 hornlines mixed up and played "Texas our Texas" and "America the Beautiful" on the capital steps, which was by this time lit up with the setting sun. It was very cool, and they got the echo thing as well.

They crowd was a few hundred folks I guess, a mixture of family and random locals, some we recogized as people we talked to in the park and invited them to the show. I think everyone had a great time, and afterwards there were a few get-togethers at the clubs downtown, as well as the random hanging-out in the parking lot after the show. If you missed this year (Or even if you made it), make plans to come out next year....watch for details, uh, sometime this winter...

since when is rev. div I?

hopefully some pictures up somewhere soonish :)

Revolution is actually Division III.

Nice review :)

I love Gulf Coast's new uniforms, and the show sounded great from the side, wish I could have heard from the front. Unchained Melody is nice.

Trinity has grown by leaps and bounds, they have a lot to be proud of :)

Ready for the Drum Major and Guard uniforms to come in for us, but I think the guard and DMs did a good job of makeshift uniforms for this performance ;)

Nice review :)

I love Gulf Coast's new uniforms, and the show sounded great from the side, wish I could have heard from the front. Unchained Melody is nice.

Trinity has grown by leaps and bounds, they have a lot to be proud of :)

Ready for the Drum Major and Guard uniforms to come in for us, but I think the guard and DMs did a good job of makeshift uniforms for this performance ;)

It's so fantastic to read a review from Texas. Where was drum corps when I lived there? What a wunnerful world to have corps and corps and corps in Texas!

Revolution is actually Division III.

My Bad.

There will be video and/or pictures on the GCS website soon. Use the "Media" tab at the top of the page to access them.

That was a beautful sight and sound. Good going Texas Corps. Drum Corps at its finest helping promote one another.