the cost of fuel

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As you can see by my avatar, I'm a fan of trains.. However, travel for drum corps by train at this time would not be practical, or financially sensible! there are several reasons for this. First off, the demographics of drum corps has changed and has removed many of its fans to outlying areas that are totally dependent on automotive transportation. Another reason, is that there are no longer the appendage rail lines that there once were.

Another poster explained the shortage of scheduled trains, in some cases having only one departure between major cities. Another factor would be the fans, who are coming from areas that have never seen a train, and due to the lack of round the clock transportation would not be able to return home after performances

Another major factor is the fact that the railroads of America do not have passage rates that make it feasible or advantageous not to use automotive transportation. That being said, I still ride trains when I have a choice..

BD is on the train as I type. They left about two hours ago from Sacramento. From what I heard, they will have two cars to themselves. They arrive in Galesburg, Iowa on Tuesday about noon.

They will then board rental buses much like they did last year when they returned to the midwest from Europe. Rental buses for the corps. Their staff and crew buses, equipment and food trucks will meet them there. They loaded most of their luggage on various trucks and buses within the past few days. Only small bags were allowed on the train.