The Magic is going to win DCI this year!

I think that this post is really negative and should be removed. If this post had been posted last year regarding the Troopers, it would have been gone a heartbeat! Each corps has their difficulties, and pointing out that any of our corps "suck-horribly" is just plain disrespectful and wrong. I am and have always been a big Magic supporter and fan, no matter what their placement or execution of their show. Shame on the original poster for saying what he said! Where do you march, exactly, Brassislife? Do you have a corps of your own that's better than Magic? That's all I have to say...

I agree totally! The kids are off to a rough start, but they're working just as hard as everybody else. For the original poster to claim that he wasn't bashing them is just a lame excuse for a shortsighted ill thought message. Now he's got me cheering them on!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best of luck to Magic this season. I can't wait to get the APD of their show, and can't wait to see them live this year.

As far as their placement? Who cares? As long as those kids have fun this summer and learn something, then their season is a success and they have "won"

Everybody can't make top 12 every year, unless there are only 12 corps. Someone also has to come in last place. Just because someone comes in 23rd doesn't mean their show isn't great, but the judges just feel there are 22 better shows. Why should 7 peoples opinion of them mean more than the thousands of fans cheering for them when they walk off the field during finals week?

This whole topic is very sad to me. Look at the trends: two of the lowest positioned groups from last year are not competing this year (Troopers and Kiwanis Kavaliers). I assume that people who are on this forum really care about this activity. Why would anyone bother to point out that one corps is in decline? It just may be that this type of discussion furthers along the point that the group is in a bad position and hastens their journey to oblivion. Have you not noticed how many corps have disappeared over the last 20 to 30 years? Is that what you want to happen to this fine group?

I appreciate the post from the parent who was traveling with the corps last season and saw that a lack of leadership was a big part of the problem. That seems to be the case with many corps who have folded in the past because of financial difficulties or lack of consistency and stability within the corps leadership.

EVERY corps needs our positive energy and support, whether it is where you marched, where your kid marched, or whether you just plain out can't stand them because they beat you or you don't like their style. Without every corps, where would the competition be?

I personally saw Magic just over a week ago and was also concerned about their future. It did seem that the kids were quite young, but I doubt seriously that they don't "get it." I also personally observed that lashing out by one staff member in the parking lot, and stated so in a review I wrote about the Birmingham show. I thought that showed a lack of respect for the members of the corps, given that it was not done in relative privacy.

HOWEVER, never would I be so snide in a comment as to say "The Magic is going to win DCI this year." The original poster defended that position by saying it was a way to get folks to read it. I believe you could have had just as many readers by headling your topic "I am concerned about Magic; what can we do?"

I realize this is a place to state your opinion, but sometimes... it's best not to.

Edited by Spirit Guard Mom

Some internal squabbles are better kept internally and private in my opinion if one really has the remaining Corps kids best interests at heart. I think I just found a Corps to give an extra appreciative hand for when they finish their show this year.

I don't always agree with Hoppy from time to time. But I NEVER EVER took it out on his kids in the Cadets. That's OFF LIMITS! That would be (as a previous poster had written) SHAMEFUL! If the original poster feels that the Magic is in such dire straights then why doesn't he do something to help them? Sorry folks, but this one really has me in a twist.

The average age of Magic corps members is 16 (per the director.) and this is their first year in DCI for almost all of them. I think I found one returning Magic member; all the others had elected to go to different corps if they were doing it again.

This is our first year involved with DCI so, to be honest, we didn't know what to expect. I think BL1977 and dciguy01 hit the nail on the head.

I also can attest to the statement made by Spirit Guard Mom regarding publically screaming at the corps. Is this normal behavior on the part of staff?

About 60% of the corps has been sick with a respiratory infection since Memphis that just keeps getting passed around. My son just recaught it two days ago. Hopefully, it will work its way out soon.

All I know is that these kids have been busting their butts (like all the corps). There are NO veterans, NO experience, most are 16. Sounds like there is also a lack of history with staff members.

I was really offended by the "suck horribly" statement (just seems he had an agenda doing a drive by post like that) and hope none of those kids ever reads it. There are some great benefits to DCI and I would hate for these kids to get so disgusted that they never want to have anything more to do with it after their first year.

I appreciate those of you who posted an intelligent response because it's helped me understand why Magic is having challenges.

The Big Picture? It's that Magic is on the field. In whatever place that is, Magic still exists due to these guys busting their butts. I marched Magic in 21st place and I marched Magic in 8th place and I valued all my years there. It's not about placement, it's about the experience. We (alumni) talked to the kids at a camp and told them the same thing we were told - that they can make a difference there. I hope they took it to heart. They are young, enthusiastic and they love Magic. That was how Magic got to 8th before and if they can keep kids, it can happen again.

I also they are all feeling better if the bug is still going around. Nothing sucks worse than being sick on tour!

By the way, in my opinion, if you have something constructive to say to any administrator of any corps, say it to their face, not a bulletin board. For every million positive comments, one negative one spoils the bunch.

Meredith

Magic 91-94, 96

yet sadly now to be frank...they suck-horribly...

Well, you are a problem. Frankly, I don't think they suck horribly. Sure there are issues, but I enjoyed their show.

If you want them to be better, try supporting them.

You are a borg of the worst kind. <**> <**> <**>

In 2004 Magic only had 4 returning members. This is not something new. The kids are just flat out not returning because they are not enjoying their experience with Magic. The problem is not and never has been the kids. When a corps does not do well, you need to look no further than the director and staff, namely the caption heads.

As has been the case since Magic started, the members can and do march anywhere. All of the top 5 corps have had former Magic members in them. As I stated previously, it's NEVER the kids fault. These are students eager to learn and will do as they are taught, and only do as much as is expected of them. You might say they need consistent staff year to year, but I would disagree. Their current brass caption head has been there since '04 and they are still doing poorly. Bad instructors will continue to have dissapointing results no matter how long they stay.

You've all seen what a good staff can do with Magic, from going completely inactive one year to Div. II champs the following. It's not that hard, you just need to have people that know how to work a drum corps. To clarify a little more, I'm not calling out the techs of the individual sections because they can only do so much without stepping on toes, and like the students, they take their orders from above. I am calling out the current people in charge, i.e. the caption heads.

If Magic is to survive and be successful, serious changes need to be made at the top levels or else you will continue to see a corps with no returning veterans.

It's definately not the kids....from what I've seen before..they get it for sure. I have spent time with them in the past volunteering (my husband and I). They are the most well mannered respectful kids...I adored working for the kids. I didn't adore working with the adults. So you figure it out.