Cymbal Advice?

brivette

Hello everyone.

Currently, I'm in charge of putting together a list of some cymbals to buy for the high school marching band's pit i help instruct and arrange for. I'm not an expert on cymbals, but I know what kind i'm looking for and I know i'm on a budget! Nothing to Expensive. This is what I need:

3 crash cymbals (different sounds)

1 china

1 splash

This is the list I of cymbals I compiled that I think would be best for us, but I want to know what you guys think!

Thanks!

- Sabian B8 16" Thin Crash

- Wuhan 16" China

- Sabian AAX 16" Stage Crash

- Zildjian A Custom 10" Custom Splash

- Zildjian ZXT 16" Thin Crash

I would look into the Zildjian A Orchestral Suspended cymbals instead of drumset crash cymbals. There a bunch of different sizes and weights. Sabian also has some hand hammered suspended cymbals I like.

These are not that expensive. They are more expensive then what you listed though.

Okay... Thanks for the advice.

I would add a pair of Sabian Orchestral 18" crash cymbals, depending on the brand, 16" cymbals can seem too tiny of a sound, a thin pair of 18" cymbals wouldn't weight much more, and would give a fuller sound.

Just my $4.37

I would be careful with the thinner cymbals period, as they can take one heck of a beating...

I would also recommend an 18" china (I got a wuhan china for ~$30)

Besides that, looks like you have a good variety of sounds there.

I would add a pair of Sabian Orchestral 18" crash cymbals, depending on the brand, 16" cymbals can seem too tiny of a sound, a thin pair of 18" cymbals wouldn't weight much more, and would give a fuller sound.

Just my $4.37

I know we're holding out on buying a pair of crash cymbals, but i will take your advice on 18".

Thanks.

I would be careful with the thinner cymbals period, as they can take one heck of a beating...

I would also recommend an 18" china (I got a wuhan china for ~$30)

Besides that, looks like you have a good variety of sounds there.

Okay! Thanks for the advice.

very careful using stage cymbals and thinner crashes...they may not cut thru the wind ensemble or produce the desired results as well as not hold up to the common malady of improper playing. are you marching field cymbals or planning to use hand cymbals thru-out the front? this would also play a role in ensemble sound planning - scoring.

having some very quality suspended cymbals would provide hard crashes, mallet rolls, etc.

the china will give you impact

splash will highlight a hi tone impact.

maybe only one crash cymbal (17 to 18") will provide those larger impacts or lighter cym rolls desired.

definitely hand cymbals of some sort, perhaps use them from the concert/symphonic bands...again, depends on the arranging and type of music you are playing and/or if field cymbals are being used.

• 2 weeks later...

I used paiste for two years, and I had all kinds of headaches with them...

Their gongs are pretty flimsy and will crack under heavy use--the zildjian and sabian gongs are about twice as thick. I don't mind some of their general purpose cymbals, but their chinas crack pretty fast.

There's also one that looks like a reverse china thing....don't get that--when the ridge flattens out, the thing will invert spontaneously so it looks like a taco, and it won't ever go back. When that happens, you may as well throw the cymbal away.