Favorite Battery Arrangers

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Delucia, definately #1. No, I never played for the guy, but I watched plenty of his lines from the Muchachos to the Bridgemen, and they just blew me away. He had his battery so pumped up they could even intimidate the judges, and that's no understatement. One time I overheard one judge telling another : "Those guys stare right down your throat, just DARING you to hit em'!". There's a lot of good perc instructors out there, but in my mind, he's the "first among equals".

I'm playing in the Classic Cavaliers alumni corps and we're having a lot of fun playing those old Larry McCormick and Dan Spalding scores. Those two have to be right up there with the contemporary guys.

My wife took some pictures of us at the Michigan City Show. How do I post them here?

John Leo

Cavaliers '74 - '77

Classic Cavaliers '06

I know I'm biased, but Mike Back doesn't seem to get the recognition that he deserves! Just listen to Spirit from 1982 through 1990, especially 1985, and you'll be impressed by the writing, both the front ensemble and batterie.

All those other guys are OK too. :)

I remember staying in the dorms at DCI Midwest in Whitewater in 1984 (when you could still do such a thing for a few bucks a night)...and Spirit's drumline setting up camp to warm up....right outside my window.

Those guys were in absolute throw-down mode. They won field drums in Whitewater prelims and were second that night at finals. Flat out in your face playing. :drool::worthy:

"No One Together" from the 84 Spirit show is one of my all time fave drum solos...nothing like mixing some odd-metered Kansas with some good 'ole down South home cookin'...Mike Back did a great job on that arrangement.