Favorite Battery Arrangers

My top 3, in order:

Jim Casella: not one single note out of context in his books...by far the most musical battery arranger DCI has ever seen.

Tom Aungst: Absolutley LOVE some of his books (2005 was a masterpiece) others are good, but leave me wanting a bit more (1999, 2002, 2003, 2004).

Scott Johnson: pre-2001. I haven't cared much for his arranging style lately, it used to be much more musical (1996-98), not AS much pounding the crap out of the drums.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are four on my list. In order, Sanford, Sam Kays, Ralph Hardiman, Tom Float.

Regards,

John Swartz

Hey......no Al Murray???? :laugh:

I have to plug for Marty Hurley here - he wrote some really sweet stuff for Regiment from 75-92. Jim Wren is known for his brass arrangements at Regiment, but one has to wonder how different the heritage of Phantom might be had it not been for Marty.

One of my favorite quotes from that era: "I think Wren went to the symphony while Marty was at a parade". :P

Three underrated geniuses from different eras:

John Thirion (Des Plaines Vanguard)

Mike Kumer (Finleyville & DPV)

Chris Hestin (Glassmen)

Unless I am off the mark...I do believe Chris Hestin is a Regiment alum... if so, he marched in Marty's parade...

:P :P

Edited by 81regiment

Hannum. Period.

Hardimon (BTW, I work in a local-and nationwide! and World Wide Web!- Kansas City drum shop, and the sticks that say Hardimon outsell everything else combined. Ralph and Vic are surely doing something right!)

Chris Thompson (Madison '84-'91) is underestimated as an amazingly musical arranger. Ahead of his time!

Casella for being consistantly out of the box.

Chris used to teach for Crossmen when Thom was writing. Robbie Robinson and Mark Thurston were in the line back in those days.