Sounds on the Susquehanna adds new sponsor

Sounds on the Susquehanna....the premier Sr. show this year adds the Spectrum Winterguard as a sponsor. Spectrum will be the sponsor of the Empire Statesmen's performance in the competition. We are so excited to be a part of the Sounds on the Susquehanna. Dave Baker has always been so supportive of our group that we thought that it was time that we give back alittle. Of course nothing we do can ever repay Dave for his never ending support of Spectrum, first as a drum corps and now as a winterguard.

Here is the Press Release about the show:

Press Release

Drum & Bugle Corps to Compete in Endicott

ENDICOTT, NY – (June 28, 2006) – The power and pageantry of World Class Drum and Bugle Corps will be on display again this summer in the Southern Tier. The Sounds on the Susquehanna celebrates its 17th year with a spectacular show on Saturday, July 29th at Union-Endicott High School. The gates open at 6:30 and the first performance is scheduled to begin at 8:00PM.

“We are thrilled to be able to host another great drum corps show here in Broome County”, commented Dave Baker, the event organizer. “Every year for the past 16 years, we have brought some of the best field marching units in the world to Endicott to participate in our show, and this year is no exception.”

The 2006 Sounds on the Susquehanna features a lineup of six corps, highlighted by the top four units from 2005.

“We have a really amazing lineup this year,” commented Baker. “We usually have two of the top corps in our show, but this year we were fortunate enough to be able to schedule the top four corps from last year. For the spectators, this is almost like going to Championships. I am really excited about the lineup. This will be fun!!”

The evening will start at 7:30 with exhibitions from a pair of local brass and percussion groups. There will then be six (6) corps in competition from various areas in the North East. The performing groups are the White Sabers from Dansville, the Skyliners from New York, the Bushwackers from New Jersey, the Brigadiers from Syracuse, the Empire Statesmen from Rochester and the Reading Buccaneers.

Drum and Bugle Corps are field marching units that perform their music in complex, choreographed formations on a football field. Each corps can have a maximum of 128 marching members on the field, comprised of brass, drum, percussion and color guard personnel. The musical selections vary from classical to jazz to Broadway show tunes. A panel of 9 judges evaluates each performance and the results are tabulated to determine the “winner”.

“This should be a very exciting evening of music and motion”, Baker added. “There is a lot of corp pride on the line with this show and I expect the competition to be very intense.”

All seating for the event is reserved. Tickets are $15 each and are available at the gate the day of the show, or they can be purchased in advance at Frame to Please, 118 Washington Avenue in Endicott. For further information or to order tickets over the phone, call 607-754-0351. Information about the show and driving directions are available on-line at http://www.soundsonsus.org. . Discounts are available for families with small children, for Senior Citizens and for groups of 20 or more.

A quick bit of news:

I drove by the performance field this past weekend and was pleased to see that someone had the foresight to cover the field before the flood. This covering is caked with mud. But the field underneath, constructed of that lovely field-turf, looks to be in awesome shape. I can't say the same for the all-weather track -- it looks hideous, but that's why it's all-weather? -- and the concession stand and grandstand were also quite muddy--both were inundated in about 5-6 ft. (or more?) of water. The practice field behind the stadium has about 5 to 6 inches of dried Susquehanna River mud on it. Thankfully (or regretfully?) the school district is used to these types of disasters, seeing as how they happen almost every year, so there shouldn't be any problems with this show's happening, which is good news... the community could use a pick-me-up.

A quick bit of news:

I drove by the performance field this past weekend and was pleased to see that someone had the foresight to cover the field before the flood. This covering is caked with mud. But the field underneath, constructed of that lovely field-turf, looks to be in awesome shape. I can't say the same for the all-weather track -- it looks hideous, but that's why it's all-weather? -- and the concession stand and grandstand were also quite muddy--both were inundated in about 5-6 ft. (or more?) of water. The practice field behind the stadium has about 5 to 6 inches of dried Susquehanna River mud on it. Thankfully (or regretfully?) the school district is used to these types of disasters, seeing as how they happen almost every year, so there shouldn't be any problems with this show's happening, which is good news... the community could use a pick-me-up.

Ed hope to see you at the show. lots of catching up to do.

That stadium floods on a regular basis but always seems to dry out for the show. I've been hanging flyers up and keeping an eye on their website and in the off chance that the mess isn't cleaned up, the show will be in Binghamton which IMO has one of the nicest stadiums in this area. The only problem is parking.

That stadium floods on a regular basis but always seems to dry out for the show. I've been hanging flyers up and keeping an eye on their website and in the off chance that the mess isn't cleaned up, the show will be in Binghamton which IMO has one of the nicest stadiums in this area. The only problem is parking.

Yep the show will go on no matter what. If it can't happen at Union Endicott High School(I believe it will and so does the show sponsor) it will happen at the Binghamton stadium. Harry, thanks for giving us a bump up to the top.

Benjy Van Kurin

Spectrum Executive Director

http://www.spectrumwinterguard.org

Edited by spectrumexec

bump

Yep the show will go on no matter what. If it can't happen at Union Endicott High School(I believe it will and so does the show sponsor) it will happen at the Binghamton stadium. Harry, thanks for giving us a bump up to the top.

Benjy Van Kurin

Spectrum Executive Director

http://www.spectrumwinterguard.org

Although short on parking Binghamton is a very nice venue. Good, high vantage point for spectators and an all-weather field-turf field. Yes, it's the one by the highway (Rt. 81/17) for those of you who were there in 2002. About three hours from Jersey.