Wireless ban

Wireless  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Ban wireless anything?

• Ban wireless
    • Allow wireless

I see the day when someone's final show is jacked with, and it's not that far off.

Seriously? And how would that be done? Like somebody's gonna be out there with a universal signal jammer, as if there was such a thing (maybe the military has one?). I challenge anyone to go to a rock concert and try to interfere with their FM signals. Good luck. It's not really that easy to do unless you know the broadcast frequency. If a person did manage to do it, the FCC would be on it in a flash, and the guilty party would face felony charges.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously? And how would that be done? Like somebody's gonna be out there with a universal signal jammer, as if there was such a thing (maybe the military has one?). I challenge anyone to go to a rock concert and try to interfere with their FM signals. Good luck. It's not really that easy to do unless you know the broadcast frequency. If a person did manage to do it, the FCC would be on it in a flash, and the guilty party would face felony charges.

Dave Matthews Band has constant problems with their IED's. They even have bootlegs made of their IED stream. It's more prevalent than you give credit for...

Sure. Essentially, wireless is unreliable relatively, and it's also subject to radio wave interference. That's not to say that cabled amp systems are perfect... however wireless can be messed with. It must be subject to potential interference. So for those reasons, I think at this time it would be in everyone's best interest to not use it.

I see the day when someone's final show is jacked with, and it's not that far off.

EDIT -- relatively LESS reliable.

Thanks for stating your reasons. I see no need for a ban. Wireless mics are used effectively in concerts and theatre all the time. Given their flexibility and relative ease of setup, I'm surprised more corps don't go that route.

I sure hope no one has plans to interfere with a show. But even if someone could pull it off, that doesn't mean a corps shouldn't use them. My car could get stolen at the mall, even if I lock it up and have an anti-theft device. Does that mean I shouldn't park my car at the mall? Because someone might commit a crime?

Dave Matthews Band has constant problems with their IED's. They even have bootlegs made of their IED stream. It's more prevalent than you give credit for...

Improvised Explosive Device? Imitative Electromagnetic Deception? IED stream? Jargon doesn't prove your point. Capturing a transmission and making a bootleg is one thing. Interfering with a transmission is another. Yes, it can be done, but not easily and not lawfully.

Thanks for stating your reasons. I see no need for a ban. Wireless mics are used effectively in concerts and theatre all the time. Given their flexibility and relative ease of setup, I'm surprised more corps don't go that route.

So why is it drum corps has such a problem with it?

Because it's a bunch of musicans, some maybe even "have studio experience" that are running the soundboards. Instead of the corps paying the people that really should be involved with doing this type of project, such as people with degrees in audio recording, they have jack ### pit techs and other "professionals" setting up the systems. I've seen the equipment that most of the corps are using, and they have more then adequate equipment, just not being mixed and ran properly. JMO.

Because it's a bunch of musicans, some maybe even "have studio experience" that are running the soundboards. Instead of the corps paying the people that really should be involved with doing this type of project, such as people with degrees in audio recording, they have jack ### pit techs and other "professionals" setting up the systems. I've seen the equipment that most of the corps are using, and they have more then adequate equipment, just not being mixed and ran properly. JMO.

yep. what he said...

Edited by GGarrett

That's your perception, not mine. How many of the sound system issues over the past 2+ years were because wireless mics were used versus other issues? Boston had problems at one show in 2004 where they didn't use their sound system. I don't think they were using anything wireless. I don't think Crown's static at Allentown that year was a result of wireless but other sound board and speaker issues. Were there any significant malfunctions last year due to wireless? This year Cadets have had problems this year (not sure how much was caused by wireless issues) but Crossmen, so far, have been fine with the wireless headsets some of the pit are using. Balance problems many have reported have nothing to do with wireless. That's a sound board mix issue, mic placement or the decision to amplify something which didn't need it. I'm just having a hard time seeing how wireless is such a problem as it needs to be banned. If corps don't like the results or think they aren't worth the risk, they won't use them. Simple as that.