Peterborough, England

Last time I saw a real live DCI corps was 1979. Much has changed in the overall experience since then, some good, some bad.

Now I am not qualified to give to much in the way of technical detail having not marched for many years, but i'll try to remain objective from a fans perpective.

Here goes (God help me)

HORNS - I would have to say that the intonation and quality of the horns has improved considerably since 79 but at some cost to the raw power. The horn book was safe and solid. Nice sound but could have been more challenging. :)

BATTERY - I really miss the drum solo/ feature. The line was again solid and together but I did not think that the book showcased the line at all. These guys can play use them. The base line was awsome. B)

PIT - My first experience of amps, thankfully not a bad one. I felt that these guys were competent but had too little to do :(

GUARD - I profess to knowing nothing about guards but I know what I like. Hated the outfits (lycra, ballgowns and all) Some nice work with flags, rifles and sabres. Choreography needs work. I did not think that the waltzy bit in the middle added anything to the show and I felt I was watching Rhett Butler and Scarlett O'Hara rather than some aristocrats in europe (too cute and corny). :laugh:

GE - The title of the show is intriguing and the GMEN go a way to exploring the Mastery. Not enough Madness for me though. Was'nt struck on the silence bit in the show, I assume its to explore his deafness ( I was tempted to yell 'Vanguard') ^0^

Drill - Some problems to address here it was quite dirty. I spoke to one of the instructors and he felt they may have suffered during the tour. :(

Question? Has the tour hurt the GMEN's chances of finishing in the top 12. I doubt it. The show is solid and given the fact they have not had anything to measure their progress by I would imagine it will improve significantly.

Personally I enjoyed the show much more than some of the APD's I've heard and would like to thank the GMEN organisation for taking the time out to come over and show us how it should be done. Good luck guys!

Thanks for the review from overseas!

Regarding your question - I think the Glassmen's chances of making finals are very good, even with them leaving the U.S. competitive scene for a little while. They are pretty experienced, and know where the show needs to be to make finals. And their past performance tells us that they should be able to slot themselves in somewhere between 9th and 12th and make finals.

Thanks for the long distance review.... Now if we could only get a Div I corps to come to Canada........ :P