Screamers...

So, I just thought, since last year in Kiwanis Kavaliers production, they had a euph "scream" during their rendition of the "Pink Panther" and I thought, "....that was, interesting." NOW, fast-forward to 2006, in Esperanza's "Chakra" there was a mellophone who suddenly "screamed" at the beggining of the show, and I thought ".....that was, interesting." And I forgot which corps it was (sorry) where there was a tuba solo, and i thought "...how cool...". I am making a call to action, no more "innovation" with amps and mics and singing and vocals and vocals and vocals.....I say, we have more tuba solos! and more screamers (other than Sopranos)...who knows...maybe even a tuba "Screamer" will resolve in the near future.....that is what I will call "innovation"!!!!!!

(By the way...Can tubas "Scream"???? :lol: )

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

(By the way...Can tubas "Scream"???? :lol: )

I recall watching one of the DVDs from the mid 80s and The Cadets (I think) had a contra player who was way up there. I was from a distance, but he had the "screamer" pose.

I wasn't aware that any instruments can scream. Sorry don't mean to sound like a jerk, I really don't. I just rather say play in the high register. That is all :)

EDIT: Maybe if George Hopkins reads this, he will have every player in the show actually *scream* through the horn. Would fit the show theme in my opinion. I think it would be rather humorous to have a park and blow, with the whole corps *screaming*. Not meant to be negative in anyway.

Edited by DCImaniac

I wasn't aware that any instruments can scream. Sorry don't mean to sound like a jerk, I really don't. I just rather say play in the high register. That is all :)

My Bad, I just was brought up with the term "Screaming" everytime I heard an instrument (mainly brass) go up into the high register.

There was a screaming contra solo in 2005 Bluecoats for about 6 days towards the end of tour, circa the West Chester show. Went up to a 2nd line treble clef G. Those Yamahas just let that note resonate, but they don't handle the 16th note chromatic runs up to it very well. Lots of clarity issues that my PT-6 never had.

Fun to play, but ooooh did it ever stick out during run-throughs! lol I don't think a screaming contra could ever really fit into a dark show like that- something light and ultra-jazzy would be a good vehicle.

Magic had a bari solo pretty much ever year from 94-97 that ended in the stratosphere. Pretty sure it was the same guy most of those years.

Even as a low brass player, I say leave the "screaming" to the trumpets...the high range on the other instruments just doesn't sound compelling, no matter how good the player. Even mellophones just sound like a tea kettle that's been left on too long on anything above an A above the staff.

I recall watching one of the DVDs from the mid 80s and The Cadets (I think) had a contra player who was way up there. I was from a distance, but he had the "screamer" pose.

it wqs 1986 and they had a contra with a soprano mouthpiece who ran up to a very high note (not sure what it was) in the middle of their show.

1979 SCV had a baritone player that ended his solo way up in the no man's land!!! Great show and great soloist.

Let's not forget the bari soloist during "Everybody Loves the Blues" in BD's '83 show.