Drum corps fads that need to stop

Generally, I'm speaking of Seattle. However, there are still writers out there who want to write their own crap and push it onto an audience....

I know many people like BK's show, for instance... however, I DON'T. But I do love the corps "Blue Knights".

What about Seattle? They just picked up Steve Menefee to step up as brass caption head, he has been a music educator for years, not to mention on brass staff during the rise to the top 12. The techs Chris Brown Graduated with a degree in music, Nate Savalza graduated with a degree in music education, Matt Smith is getting a degree in music education, noticing a trend here? They are also Techs, not design staff, they are in charge of cleaning up music, hel;ping out Steve and generally making the corps better, why is it bad if they are younger? It seems to me that your statements are ignorant and unfounded, not to mention ridiculous. Think you can do better than go out and help, if not then shut you mouth.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought we'd already had the "I can express my opinion" debate here... :rock:

Well, Mark, explain to me Seattles meteoric scores then? And you'll never get me to shut my mouth.

I'm not JUST talking about Seattle here. I haven't found ANYTHING written by hand for a "corps" show to be entertaining to me. Just muddled harmonies and the occasional one-liner punch note to indicate that someone is even playing.

I don't care how much education it takes..... As a 20 year drum corps veteran, I can tell you that MOST of the finest corps of the past had instructors that moved up from their own drum corps roots. And had amazing shows without a college edumacation.

The replacement of corps staff with music educators was supposed to be a great change. In the end it just feeds the narssicism of "music educators" who want to see their own written stuff on the field.

...and it ISN'T entertaining.

Edited by apoch003

I tjust so happens that they have music degrees. Chris brown marched with BD, pretty sure he knows what going on. Other staff members including matt and n8 marched the cascades. there is experience there. Steve Menefee marched Cadets back in the day. In another discussion I mentioned the fact is right now it is the members not stepping up to the plate, the staff can only have them run around the track so many times and do so many pushups, sometime it has to click in their heads that they need to work harder. When I saw them last night I was telling them they have a ways to go, but keep digging in and giving it there best. I just don't understand the attack on the staff, these kids have a good product on their plate and need to run with it. Many of the problems are mental errors, which means people need to focus more. And in the case of people wanting to see their own stuff on the field I don't know what to tell you, is every person supposed to just write the same thing then?

I tjust so happens that they have music degrees. Chris brown marched with BD, pretty sure he knows what going on. Other staff members including matt and n8 marched the cascades. there is experience there. Steve Menefee marched Cadets back in the day. In another discussion I mentioned the fact is right now it is the members not stepping up to the plate, the staff can only have them run around the track so many times and do so many pushups, sometime it has to click in their heads that they need to work harder. When I saw them last night I was telling them they have a ways to go, but keep digging in and giving it there best. I just don't understand the attack on the staff, these kids have a good product on their plate and need to run with it. Many of the problems are mental errors, which means people need to focus more. And in the case of people wanting to see their own stuff on the field I don't know what to tell you, is every person supposed to just write the same thing then?

Sounds like you and I are almost on the same page, now. Pity about the effort of the kids you describe.

No. I wouldn't expect the same thing.

I'd like to see more Bernstein, Copeland, hayden, Holst, Gershwin, Lloyd-Webber, Tchaikovsky etc... Though. And quite a bit less "Jerry the music teacher" on the field.

Simply having a music degree by no means guarantees that its owner is a talented composer, teacher or technician. I have 3 degrees in music but my attempts at composition don't deserve to be heard outside of my own home, let alone on the drum corps field or in a concert hall.

Simply having a music degree by no means guarantees that its owner is a talented composer, teacher or technician. I have 3 degrees in music but my attempts at composition don't deserve to be heard outside of my own home, let alone on the drum corps field or in a concert hall.

I know that, I was just stating the fact. I know I would be absolutly no help to a corps in a capacity other that logistics or cooking, anything that didn't have to do with the show.

I thought we'd already had the "I can express my opinion" debate here... :rock:

Well, Mark, explain to me Seattles meteoric scores then? And you'll never get me to shut my mouth.

I'm not JUST talking about Seattle here. I haven't found ANYTHING written by hand for a "corps" show to be entertaining to me. Just muddle harmonies and the occasional one-liner punch note to indicate that someone is even playing.

I don't care how much education it takes..... As a 20 year drum corps veteran, I can tell you that MOST of the finest corps of the past had instructors that moved up from their own drum corps roots. And had amazing shows without a college edumacation.

The replacement of corps staff with music educators was supposed to be a great change. In the end it just feeds the narssicism of "music educators" who want to see their own written stuff on the field.

...and it ISN'T entertaining.

The way you're talking would lead somebody to believe that a majority of shows use original music now. In reality, the vast majority of shows are using arrangements of pre-existing music, so I'm not sure what you're talking about. One to three original shows a year IMO does not mean it's becoming the norm.

Edited by ekleve

Again...

THERE WAS NOTHING IN HIS POST THAT SHOWS THAT HE FEARS HOMOSEXUALS.

I cannot say that enough times.

In fact, a "phobia" isn't even just general fear. It is a specific type of fear the is an actual debilitating medical condition.

"Homophobia" has been warped by irrational people into meaning whatever they happen to want it to mean. It's a way of ending a conversation without really discussing facts. A way of taking someone down a peg without really considering their views. It is a grammatical perversion of astronomical magnitude.

All you have to do is say "well that's homophobic" and you've "won" the argument. It's the new "race card". Just pull out "homophobe" and you've got a full house. You don't even need to think about someone else's opinions or why they have them, and carefully weigh them against your own, and then talk about it civilly. Just shout "homophobe" and you've shut them down.

If you don't like the common usage of the term "homophobic," how 'bout if instead we just said that his post was "anti-gay." And I don't see why anti-gay sentiment should be any more acceptable in this forum than racist, sexist, or anti-Semitic sentiment, do you?

The way you're talking would lead somebody to believe that a majority of shows use original music now. In reality, the vast majority of shows are using arrangements of pre-existing music, so I'm not sure what you're talking about. One to three original shows a year IMO does not mean it's becoming the norm.

True, but on the other hand, so many corps arrangements these days veer so far away from the original composition, that sometimes they almost might as well be considered an original set of variations on an existing piece, rather than just an arrangement. Used to be that staying "true to the original" was often a point of pride in this activity, but now we have to have all the added arpeggios, loud stacatto accents, pointless power chords than have nothing to do with the original tune, etc. My personal preference has always been for more straightforward arrangements. Although I will admit that this season and last, Southwind has made me rethink that feeling somewhat!