Overview:

Blue Saints - lots of heart, kudos to all of them

Dutch Boy - nice DIII program, they'll make some noise

Magic - the show's getting there

Spirit - the crowd favorite

Madison/Boston - spread about right, IMO

full review coming in an hour or so...

Boston cg 1 pointed madisons

I'm too tired and lazy for a full review, but a few thoughts on the show...

Blue Saints: The kids on the field have a lot of heart, but the corps seems woefully underprepared. There are long sections of the show where most of the corps isn't marching and entire songs where the pit (whose members are roughly a fourth of the corps) is tacit. I don't know if those are design decisions or simply unlearned parts. I only counted 28 members on the field, including a stationary flag & saber honor guard, another stationary guard member with her arm in a sling, and a baritone who stood in the pit and never seemed to lift his horn to play a note. To the performers' credit, there were only FOUR horn players playing and you could tell they realize you can't hide in a quartet. Even when they struggled a bit, they were trying to play their hearts out.

Dutch Boy: I LOVE THIS SHOW. When I first heard they were doing South Park, I was skeptical, but it's a really well-designed show that's a lot of fun. They've got a really small horn line (11 or 12), but they produce a surprisingly full sound. Being a drummer, I didn't watch the guard much, but the corps proper seemed solid visually, both with drill and body movement. The drum line was a pleasant surprise, particularly the pit.

Memphis Sound: This is the first I've seen 'em and I like them. Accessible music and a nice strong brass sound for their size. I detected some problems with cleanliness of rolls, but they seem to be fixable. I think the drum line could actually handle more notes than they've been given.

Magic: More purple. I kept wondering if the notorious Ludwig drums would blow a lug casing during the show.

Madison Scouts: Not a championship year, but still the strongest sounding and most entertaining corps of the night in my opinion. Their drum book seemed much more difficult than the other corps' and they pulled most of it off reasonably well. The white unis don't look bad other than the fleur-de-lis blended in a little too much under the lights and it's really hard to see white sticks & mallets against white jackets.

Spirit: Liked the brass book, especially the baritone soloist. Battery was clean enough, but didn't do much to excite. I miss the cymbal line. As far as I could tell, the pit wasn't amplified but seemed to project VERY well and they maintained great balance with the rest of the corps.

Boston Crusaders: I really wanted to like their show, but it just doesn't do anything for me. Maybe a few more times hearing it would help, but I've got a feeling it'll rub me the same way as a lot of 1990s Blue Knights shows do: very vanilla. (No offense to BK -- especially since I had family in the corps!) The pit was very obviously amplified and seemed to overpower the rest of the corps at times. Drums were clean enough, but the book doesn't seem incredibly challenging. I understand the props, but don't often like big props and this is no exception. They look clumsy, especially when they're being moved.

I'll abstain from making many visual comments for two main reasons: (1) The stands in Hornell aren't particularly tall. (2) No offense to colorguards, but I seldom notice them unless they're doing great stuff or they're blocking my view of the drum line.

I think Spirit has reached a point to where they can start to clean their rewrites, as well as other parts of their show, so now we're starting to see the score go up....GO BABY BLUE!!!!!

GEORGIA ON MY MIND!!!!!!

I havn't seen Spirit yet this year, Their reviews are very positive. ' Seems they have an entertaining, fan friendly show this year. Good for them!

Dutch Boy: I LOVE THIS SHOW. When I first heard they were doing South Park, I was skeptical, but it's a really well-designed show that's a lot of fun. They've got a really small horn line (11 or 12), but they produce a surprisingly full sound. Being a drummer, I didn't watch the guard much, but the corps proper seemed solid visually, both with drill and body movement. The drum line was a pleasant surprise, particularly the pit.

Thanks for the kind words. We're really having a great summer with such an fun, entertaining show. All the kids are fantastic this year, with a want/ need to learn.