Would it help or hurt

Is it time to expand the top 12 to 16?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that making finals 16 corps instead of 12 benefit the 2nd tier?

• Yes, it would benefit those corps 13-16 in recruiting and financially
    • No, being part of a larger group would lessen the experience for all of the corps members
  2. 2. Is there that much difference in the quality of a 13th place show and say 6th?

• Obviously
    • Obviously not
  3. 3. Is there really that much difference in recruiting, fundraising, and sponsorships between 16 and 12?

• You betcha!
    • It's just perception

Besides, Top 10 just SOUNDS better...it's more logical...that's what you always read about in the Top "Whatever" lists...Top 10 Restaurants to eat at...Top 10 Rock Bands of all times...the only other Top number used regularly is the old Top 40 Hits by Casey Kasem, and the Top 100 whatever's on E Channel.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bigger shows... the scoring seem have risks of boxing in.

I think it's because that's how many corps will fit on the field for retreat. The field is full, no more :P

It was Prelims - Finals up through the 82 season

In 83 DCI went to a Quarters, Semis, Finals format. But the previous years top 12 did not have to do Quarters.

In 85 DCI went to a Prelims-Quarters,Semis, Finals. previous top 12 did not do either Prelims or Quarters AND the previous years Semis didn't do Quaters.

In 86 went through another change. No Quarters, just Prelims, Semis, Finals. Still no top 12 in Prelims.

In 89 we went to basicly what we have now. I think having the big boys only doing 2 shows hurt tickets sales.

As far as what I think. Finals should be changed to the top 10 with the D2 and D3 champions getting a performace in front of a crowd worthy of a World Champion.

10 corps from 23 is a closer ratio to 12 corps from 30-40. Currently you only have to be better than ½ of your competition to make finals.

I agree . It was tiring but a rush as the A champ in 84 to play and compete all 6 nights of Nationals week. Florida Wave played the corps for Finale also then.

What about using Quarterfinals to cut the field (roughly) in half to 12, then cutting that field in half at Semi's to leave 6 for Finals. I'd just hope that competition could remain strong enough that we wouldn't have the same in the top 6 every year (which, unfortunately, has been pretty much what we've had, off and on, for a long time now...)

But...would people pay the big bucks to see only 6 corps for finals?