What is good to know for an audition?

If you wanna play those big instruments, it is crucial being able to hold them... If you got a dude that can hold a horn and somewhat play, and a dude that can't hold the horn but really play... they will take the dude that looks good... so just make sure you are in shape...

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're too old dude! :P

P.S. If it's such a dream maybe you should spell the corps' name correctly in your sig.

OH SNAP!!!! "sparatans"???? :rock:

A quote from George Hopkins' blog:

Notice how Hopkins seeks to single out and discredit certain caption scores that didn't work out in his corps' favor. I don't think that's unusual - except that he's doing it publicly. I don't see Dave Gibbs complaining about caption scores in a public forum, or Jeff Fiedler, Pat Seidling....or any other corps director in any division.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Auditioning for any musical group.

The big big big law:

1) Learn the Breathing Technique

2) Practice it and execute it without thinking

If it's anything that is musically mentioned on Brass Tapes it's, "you're not taking a full count to breathe, you're not attacking together, you're not finishing each phrase"

A big field brass tip: You may not be the best player, but if you are the best marcher, then you are most likely the better individual in the brassline.

AGdrummer, you stole my topic! I was gonna bust this one out after the season finished. B)

So, if you have advice for trumpet players, anyone, I could use some help too. What kinds of things specifically to practice? I'm going for a top 5 corps- what kind of things will the audition include *besides* playing- ie marching, running, etc. Anything I should know? Any exercises I should do? All replies are much appreciated along with responses to the original post.

Thanks AGdrummer for yet another great thread...even if you beat me to it! :P

just go in their and lay your #### out on the table....that's it....

LOL yea not a bad idea go in there and lay it all down let them know how you intend on giving 350 percent everytime.

If you wanna play those big instruments, it is crucial being able to hold them... If you got a dude that can hold a horn and somewhat play, and a dude that can't hold the horn but really play... they will take the dude that looks good... so just make sure you are in shape...

Yea i may not be the smallest out there but im no the biggest i have marched horn on many diffrent occasions and its not a problem for a bari. Plus i have till november to work it out.

Auditioning for any musical group.

The big big big law:

1) Learn the Breathing Technique

2) Practice it and execute it without thinking

If it's anything that is musically mentioned on Brass Tapes it's, "you're not taking a full count to breathe, you're not attacking together, you're not finishing each phrase"

A big field brass tip: You may not be the best player, but if you are the best marcher, then you are most likely the better individual in the brassline.

Thats really good advice i will definitly take that one to heart. Thank you very much.

AGdrummer, you stole my topic! I was gonna bust this one out after the season finished. B)

So, if you have advice for trumpet players, anyone, I could use some help too. What kinds of things specifically to practice? I'm going for a top 5 corps- what kind of things will the audition include *besides* playing- ie marching, running, etc. Anything I should know? Any exercises I should do? All replies are much appreciated along with responses to the original post.

Thanks AGdrummer for yet another great thread...even if you beat me to it! :P

LOL it popped into my head this morning i am trying to get it all planned now so i can go in there and lay my #### on the table and nail the audition.

I would suggest a few things that seem very easy to do but can be tough

1. Audition and stick with it (sometimes the hardest part)

2. Be confident going in, but not cocky

3. Stay focused

4. Listen to everything the instructors and vets say

5. Adapt to their techniques as quickly as possible (they are different everywhere)

6. Practice what they tell you to practice

7. Improve what tell you to fix

8. Be confident (repetitive I know)

9. DO NOT GIVE UP

Often the more talented people cannot get past these steps. They are sometimes too high on their own abilities to adapt to what they are being taught and change. Do not have an ego that will impede your goal. The corps sets the rules and techniques, if someone believes thaat the corps is wrong the person auditioning may not adjust for some reason. I have seen this happen many places in which I have been associated, from where I marched to where I taught. A lot of times the person with the better work ethic, attitude, and ability to adapt to the situation will make the spot over a more talented performer. It happens everywhere.

Good Luck, I hope this helps some.

I would suggest a few things that seem very easy to do but can be tough

1. Audition and stick with it (sometimes the hardest part)

2. Be confident going in, but not cocky

3. Stay focused

4. Listen to everything the instructors and vets say

5. Adapt to their techniques as quickly as possible (they are different everywhere)

6. Practice what they tell you to practice

7. Improve what tell you to fix

8. Be confident (repetitive I know)

9. DO NOT GIVE UP

Often the more talented people cannot get past these steps. They are sometimes too high on their own abilities to adapt to what they are being taught and change. Do not have an ego that will impede your goal. The corps sets the rules and techniques, if someone believes thaat the corps is wrong the person auditioning may not adjust for some reason. I have seen this happen many places in which I have been associated, from where I marched to where I taught. A lot of times the person with the better work ethic, attitude, and ability to adapt to the situation will make the spot over a more talented performer. It happens everywhere.

Good Luck, I hope this helps some.

Yes this helps alot. Thank you very much. Adjusting is a necessity in any group you preform with . Never let your Ego get to you and always do what they say. Great points :)