Perc reviews

It seems like the reviews on DCP have been really guard and hornline heavy, so I was wondering if maybe we could get some percussion insight, too...

So far it seems like PR drumline is coming out swinging, but has anyone else noticed that for most of their features, they're standing still? No disrespect intended at all -- I think they're awesome, truly, definition of the word, i.e. awe-inspiring. Come to think of it... Bluecoats line stands still a lot too. And even though I'm not in love with Cadets show this year, I think the feature on the table is... hmm... impressive and perhaps even charming. That being said, I'm not by any means a perc expert, so anyone else's thoughts on all the lines this year? (Pits, too - don't want to leave them out. :) )

Edited by prokofiev11

Blue Devils/Phantom match-up will be interesting tonight...period

Percussion will probably be the most interesting of all

Blue Devils/Phantom match-up will be interesting tonight...period

Percussion will probably be the most interesting of all

I have heard things about the Regiment drumline. Its good to hear.

Edited by AGdrummer

I'm the first to admit that, although I'm a musician, I'm not an expert in marching percussion by any stretch. But I do have to say that I've been so impressed with the musicality of writing at the Cavaliers. I rarely am drawn in to the battery specifically in a show....not that I don't like them, but I just have a background in other things. But with the Cavaliers this year, I just can't help but be in awe.

I asked a friend about the lower early season scores, and why they were not doing as well as some others. He told me that with the new style they would just take a little longer to get their excellence in order, but by the end of the season they would be competitive with anyone.

I can't say that's true. That's what I was told. But I can say that I love the sound.

Those are my percussion thoughts....

J

I'm the first to admit that, although I'm a musician, I'm not an expert in marching percussion by any stretch. But I do have to say that I've been so impressed with the musicality of writing at the Cavaliers. I rarely am drawn in to the battery specifically in a show....not that I don't like them, but I just have a background in other things. But with the Cavaliers this year, I just can't help but be in awe.

I completely agree. I don't think anyone writes better and more musically than Jim Casella. Hopefully the guys will get on track and contend for the drum title come Madison.

The Bluecoats are definitely as good as everyone is saying. At one point in the show, the entire line plays some crazy lick while leaning over, balancing on one leg. It has to be hard enough just to stay balanced, let alone hack out all of those notes... crazy.

I'm very interesting to see BD and Phantom's lines, but I won't get to until Finals night... *shrug*

The Bluecoats are definitely as good as everyone is saying. At one point in the show, the entire line plays some crazy lick while leaning over, balancing on one leg. It has to be hard enough just to stay balanced, let alone hack out all of those notes... crazy.

Not to belittle what the Bluecoats's drumline is doing this year, but if I remember correctly they're only playing tap rolls while balanced on one leg....it fits well and they're somewhat fast rolls, but I wouldn't call it a crazy lick :P.

In my opinion, Rennick has written one of his best books ever for Phantom this year, and the line is very talented and playing the heck out of it. I feel like at times the Bluecoats could use some more notes in the book; the line looks like they could handle it. Throw BD and (when they clean up come August as always) Cadets into that mix, and it'll be an interesting race for the drum 'trophy.'

You're right (original poster), we don't see much technical percussion talk on this forum, but I think it's because mostly hornline/guard types visit this forum....at any rate, it's amazing that Phantom is doing so well. I've never really been a big fan of theirs in percussion, but they've been really good the past couple of years. I think BD is going to take the percussion title, which would be great to see. I'd like for Cavies to do well because Jim is the most creative marching percussion writer I think I've ever heard, and he's just a great guy too...

Of course I'm still hoping that SCV will come on strong as the season progresses. We'll see.

You're right (original poster), we don't see much technical percussion talk on this forum, but I think it's because mostly hornline/guard types visit this forum....at any rate, it's amazing that Phantom is doing so well. I've never really been a big fan of theirs in percussion, but they've been really good the past couple of years. I think BD is going to take the percussion title, which would be great to see. I'd like for Cavies to do well because Jim is the most creative marching percussion writer I think I've ever heard, and he's just a great guy too...

Of course I'm still hoping that SCV will come on strong as the season progresses. We'll see.

Has Phantom lost in field percussion yet? They were 3 tenths up on BD at Rockford. I think that was the last time they faced each other.

It should also be interesting to see Scouts, Glassmen, Crown, and Crusaders tonight... should be a tossup between Scouts and G-men, followed by BAC and then Crown, based on the scores I've been seeing -- I'm not particularly well versed in any of their perc books. :worthy: I don't think the overall scores will play out that way, though.

Ohio is the strongest state for drumlines, period.

Capital, Glassmen, Bluecoats, and heck even Marion Glory all had OUTSTANDING drumlines, and are arguably the best section of each corps.

~>conner