Question on CYO Sponsorship/Shows

Sorry, Elphaba, missed those two shows. I vaguely remember Drumfest as being a standstill competition, and the April date proves me correct. I think the Reverie Jrs competed a couple of times, and I seem to remember one of the shows being at Conti Forum. The Nashua show was June 3 and you guys were already scoring in the 80's!!?! WOW. :worthy:

Hi JHIC, I believe that Drumfest was my first performance in the Reveries. My boots were so new I believe I was sliding 1/2 the way to the front marching in. The whole thing was scary for me as I hadn't done a summer yet, nor had I done winter guard yet. I don't remember the year though!

So then, you were definately there!! :)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, Elphaba, missed those two shows. I vaguely remember Drumfest as being a standstill competition, and the April date proves me correct. I think the Reverie Jrs competed a couple of times, and I seem to remember one of the shows being at Conti Forum. The Nashua show was June 3 and you guys were already scoring in the 80's!!?! WOW. :worthy:

I C Reveries:

Heres a couple more sets of "Numbers" courtesy of CorpsReps:

September 1 1962

Leominster MA

1. 87.5 St Kevins Emerald Knights

2. 85.2 I C Reveries

3. 82.2 Boston Crusaders

4. 76.3 Braintree Warriors

5. 69.5 Auburn Noteables

6. 67.2 Graniteers

July 22 1962

Norwood MA.

1. 86.4 I C Reveries

2. 86.1 Cambridge Caballeros

3. 83.2 Boston Crusaders

That old Boston CYO Circuit was plenty competitive "Back In the Day". St Kevins, Cambridge, St Rose Scarlet Lancers (Chick Corea's alma mater) and St Marys Cardinals & Majestic Knights were "Nationally Ranked" with Finals appearances at VFW Nationals in 1961 & 1962.

They didn't have to "Tour" to find great competiotion. It was right next door.

Elphaba

Yo Cody - great memory. The Drumfest was held at the Boston Arena, later moved to the old Boston Garden and then to BC's McHugh Forum - which I think is now Conti Forum. CYO Winter Guard championships were also held there up to the middle 1970's.

Boston OWNED the Drumfest. I remember in 1972, the rumor was that BAC had one foot in the grave. They took the floor at McHugh Forum with about 24 members. The crowd was eerily silent, when suddenly a single bass drum beat was heard, summoning the remainder of the corps. Needless to say, the rumors of their demise were greatly exaggerated, and they kicked butt.

27th historically did not participate in this local standstill - but we did in 1973 - as well as a standstill in Utica NY.

It Does??????????

No Problem sometimes it pays to be OLD
Edited by Jimbalaya

• 2 weeks later...
Yo Cody - great memory. The Drumfest was held at the Boston Arena, later moved to the old Boston Garden and then to BC's McHugh Forum - which I think is now Conti Forum. CYO Winter Guard championships were also held there up to the middle 1970's.

Boston OWNED the Drumfest. I remember in 1972, the rumor was that BAC had one foot in the grave. They took the floor at McHugh Forum with about 24 members. The crowd was eerily silent, when suddenly a single bass drum beat was heard, summoning the remainder of the corps. Needless to say, the rumors of their demise were greatly exaggerated, and they kicked butt.

27th historically did not participate in this local standstill - but we did in 1973 - as well as a standstill in Utica NY.

Lancer Legend:

The Drumfest was never held at Boston Garden. The only drum corps show that I can remember being held at the Boston Garden, was sponsored by Drum Corp News.

I believe it was held in either 1961 or 1962.

Their were Senior and Junior Corps in attendance. I remember Hawthorne marching down through the concourse of North Station to their great "drum beat"!. If I am not mistaken they arrived by train.

CODI

Dear A27Lancer:

The Drumfest was sponsored by Lt. Norman Prince "The Princemen". This contest was always held in mid April at the Boston Arena. Believe it or not The "Arena" was home to The Boston Celtics in their early years in the NBA, it is now home to Northeastern Univ. Hockey team.

The corps would arrive in their buses and wait for their time to appear on the floor of the arena. Being in Boston, Joe Dowling who was the manager of the corps would rent out the building owned by "Junior Achievement", and Boston would relax and get dress and relax, and then slowly walk over to the "Arena" which was only a block away. We would wake for those doors to open and see the area which looked like Calif with smog. Smoking was not banned back then, and we would march into the "Arena" to a single drum beat, and proceed to win I belive 10 straight "Drumfest".

"Prince" did everything in their power to dethrone the corps by bring in corps from out of state.

St. Joe's, SAC, Garfield, you name them they brought them .

Remember the year..1970 I think...that the Danny Thomas got rained out? All the DCA corps were waiting patiently in uniform on their busses in the parking lot for the deluge to stop...it never did, so sometime at mid-afternoon, it was announced the show would be held at the Boston Arena..St. Botoph St.

I think many beer cans had already been popped by that time (Pete China, long-time Sunriser mellow player and I laughed about this show the other night at KINGSMEN Alumni Corps horn rehearsal), but the parade of cars heading to Boston in that rain was awesome....the show came off as a standstill...not the greatest show I ever saw, but nonetheless...a show. :)

Edited by parrotpaul

As I recall, the CYO corps would have out of parish members. I remember CYO corps having non-Catholic, black and Jewish members. Not a problem. A corps could get disbanded when a new priest came to the parish who didn't see the value in a drum corps. And, the corps raised a lot of their own money through spaghetti nights, etc.

Dave Tichy

PAL Cadets