Question on CYO Sponsorship/Shows

There were two I.C. Reveries at one time. The Class A Reveries of the 1960's and sit-down fame went on to become the 27th Lancers after the church sponsorship fell apart. The Class C Reveries (the "little" kids) of the 60's moved up to Class B, and eventually Class A on their own (the church kept sponsoring them until 1974). The "little kid" Reveries eventually were part of the merger that became North Star, although about as many members went to the Lancers in 1975.

Jim,

Thanks for clarifying this. While I hadn't thought about it much, I do recall reading posts (Nancy & others) about the formation of 27 and how there was a Reveries that survived that merger. Now it makes sense. Actually, considering the end product of those two mergers, it's remarkable what kind of drum corps talent existed in that neighbourhood!

I spent my formidable years as a member of a parrish corps. If the church folks ever found out what went on behind the scenes - at parties and on the busses - we'd have folded years earlier!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For an historical look at the break-up of the original I.C. Reveries, please follow the link and go to I.C. Reveries Seniors page:

Mike Merrit has done a terrific job keeping this web sight going, and Steve Solombrino has contributed more historic photos than I ever thought existed of the Reveries.

Edit: Whoops, forgot how to add a link. Go to www.thefog.com and follow the path to "Reveries Seniors".

Edited by A27Lancer

• 4 weeks later...
There were two I.C. Reveries at one time. The Class A Reveries of the 1960's and sit-down fame went on to become the 27th Lancers after the church sponsorship fell apart. The Class C Reveries (the "little" kids) of the 60's moved up to Class B, and eventually Class A on their own (the church kept sponsoring them until 1974). The "little kid" Reveries eventually were part of the merger that became North Star, although about as many members went to the Lancers in 1975.

And, no, Nance, I don't think we ever beat the Boston Crusaders as the I.C. Reveries "little kids" corps, nor did the "other" I.C. Reveries ever catch them to my recollection. (Sorry to call it the "little kids" corps, but that was the best I could come up with to differentiate the two). Someone else can post when 27 first beat BAC, but BAC was still a HUGE powerhouse in the latter part of the 1960's.

Soooooo... there did exist the I.C. Reveries and the 27th Lancers at the same time (in fact, many families had kids in both corps at the same time). North Star and the I.C. Reveries did NOT exist at the same time. Got it???

and...Soo ironically, the "little kids" beat the "big kids" at the CYO Nationals in 1979. Wow, what a connection. I never knew it either until this thread. Wow.

Edited by audiodave

CYO sponsorship of the marching activity in the Greater Boston area was HUGE! Until..... you guessed it, Cardinal Bernard Francis Law was appointed Archbishop of Boston.

Youth related activities were not on his radar screen, well at least the youth related activites we care about (drum corps) weren't.

Joe - you're history is close, but no cigar. It was long BEFORE "Law" was annointed that the church abandoned the youth movement in the Diocese of Boston. Cardinal Cushing and his right hand man - Msgr. O'Neill - ran CYO and we had everything from bands, drill teams, color guards, to baseball, basketball, softball - etc. It was all about youth and our involvement within the church. When Cardinal Mederious (sp?) ascended in 1972, there was a language barrier and the city itself was going through a horrible forced bussing issue. Relations between church and parishioner were strained - catholic kids attending public schools were bussed across the city to "balance" education needs, while the strong ethnic heritage, usually based within the parish church, was eroding due to the church and public education at odds.

When my parish - Sacred Heart Roslindale - got a new priest to run the band program - he announced that the band was "losing money" and bleeding off the donations going to support the church. He said he was not a musician, but a business man - and within 3 years - the program dissappear. Do you think Sacred Heart lost more than the youth movement? I've never donated a penny since.

Boy does this bring back memories with the CYO, and Msg Carroll!!

In the early 60's you could not get a seat at "White Stadium" which was located not far from the Franklin Park Zoo in Dorchester. The contest was generally held the week after Labor Day, and the following two weekends Eastern Mass Drum and Bugle Assn, Mayflower Assn, would hold their finals.

CYO last two days. On Saturday the Class C and B Drum and Bugle Corps, bands and drill teams would compete, and then on Sunday the Class A Drum nd Bugle Corps, bands, and drill teams would have their day.

Yes, back then almost every parish in the greater Boston area had either a band or drum corps, or drill team. Just imagine going to a Class A CYO Finals, and you would be lucky enough to see SKEK, St Mary's Beverly, St. Mary's Majestic Knights, I.C. Reveries, St. Catherine's "Debs", I.C. Winchester,

St. Rose "Scarlett Lancers", Gate of Heaven "Gatesmen", Holy Trinity "Cadets", Sir Thomas More Cadets"!!

Many of the Class B corps came up and did themselves proud in the years to come such as, Holy Family "Defenders, Assumption Cadets, St. John's from Winthrop.

The CYO was founded in 1964, and won by The Boston Crusaders, some of the other corps that competed that evening was SKEK, I.C. "Reveries", Hawthrone, Pittsfield Boys Club, St. Mary's of Beverly.

In 1965 Boston lost the crown to Chicago Royal Airs, who went on to win the VFW and AL Crown. The triple crown of drum corps.

IN 1966, and 1967 Boston was able to retain their championship form and claim the "CYO Flag"!!!

This contest was always schduled around the World Open, and Danny Thomas Inv., which was run by Ray Samora of Drum Corps News, and Fleetwood Records.

In 1967, we were lucky to have a triple header in one week with the World Open, Cyo, and AL Nationals.

Just imagine three National Championship within 5 days.

Now you just get one.

What a shame!!!

"Just thinking of the good old days"!!

CODI

"

And, no, Nance, I don't think we ever beat the Boston Crusaders as the I.C. Reveries "little kids" corps, nor did the "other" I.C. Reveries ever catch them to my recollection. (Sorry to call it the "little kids" corps, but that was the best I could come up with to differentiate the two). Someone else can post when 27 first beat BAC, but BAC was still a HUGE powerhouse in the latter part of the 1960's.

Soooooo... there did exist the I.C. Reveries and the 27th Lancers at the same time (in fact, many families had kids in both corps at the same time). North Star and the I.C. Reveries did NOT exist at the same time. Got it???

Ok, I'll totally leave St. Anthony's Band and Quasar (both from Revere) out of the explanation!!! :P

"The "Other" IC Reveries":

The "Other" IC Reveries corps DID in fact, beat the Boston Crusaders, not just onece, but several times and in several seasons. We managed to find a couple of scores which we are posting here:

April 15, 1961, Drumfest, Boston MA

1. 89.4 St Kevins Emerald Knights

2. 88.2 St Marys Majestic Knights

3. 84.8 Holy Trinity Cadets

4. 84.0 IC Reveries

5. 82.8 Braintree Warriors

6. 82.2 Boston Crusaders

7. 79.5 Andrews Sabers

June 3, 1966 Nashua NH.

1. 85.1 IC Reveries

2. 83.3 Boston Crusaders

3. 66.9 Danvers Blue Angels

4. 64.9 Graniteers

5. 59.0 Annunciators

There are a couple of other contests from 1966 where IC upended Boston. Sommerville MA was one, but unfortunatly the scores from that contest have not survived. "66" was a VERY competitive year for the metro Boston corps. St Marys Cardinals also won over the Crusaders, and exchanged victories with IC and St Kevins.

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01

The "Other" IC Reveries corps DID in fact, beat the Boston Crusaders, not just onece, but several times and in several seasons. We managed to find a couple of scores which we are posting here:

April 15, 1961, Drumfest, Boston MA

4. 84.0 IC Reveries

6. 82.2 Boston Crusaders

June 3, 1966 Nashua NH.

1. 85.1 IC Reveries

2. 83.3 Boston Crusaders

There are a couple of other contests from 1966 where IC upended Boston. Sommerville MA was one, but unfortunatly the scores from that contest have not survived.

There must have been some great kick "butt" fights between BAC and the Reveries after those shows b**bs

Sorry, Elphaba, missed those two shows. I vaguely remember Drumfest as being a standstill competition, and the April date proves me correct. I think the Reverie Jrs competed a couple of times, and I seem to remember one of the shows being at Conti Forum. The Nashua show was June 3 and you guys were already scoring in the 80's!!?! WOW. :laugh:

Dear A27Lancer:

The Drumfest was sponsored by Lt. Norman Prince "The Princemen". This contest was always held in mid April at the Boston Arena. Believe it or not The "Arena" was home to The Boston Celtics in their early years in the NBA, it is now home to Northeastern Univ. Hockey team.

The corps would arrive in their buses and wait for their time to appear on the floor of the arena. Being in Boston, Joe Dowling who was the manager of the corps would rent out the building owned by "Junior Achievement", and Boston would relax and get dress and relax, and then slowly walk over to the "Arena" which was only a block away. We would wake for those doors to open and see the area which looked like Calif with smog. Smoking was not banned back then, and we would march into the "Arena" to a single drum beat, and proceed to win I belive 10 straight "Drumfest".

"Prince" did everything in their power to dethrone the corps by bring in corps from out of state.

St. Joe's, SAC, Garfield, you name them they brought them .

What a way to start of the season!! Actually the season started 30 days before at Pittsfield.

The Pittsfield Boys Club, who also had a corp, would sponsor a standstill in the middle of March.

Just imagine comp. in March. The "Cavs" brought in some great comp. Boston, Garfield, SAC, St. Mary's Beverly, IC Reveries, "Bon Bons", just a great night of drum corps in "March"!!

I believe in the waining days of the "Drumfest" it was moved to BC and the hocky rink.

This would have been in the early 70's,

"Just thinking of the good old days"!!!!

CODI