pittsburg kansas show fiasco

http://www.bigfogg.com/outdoor-misting-kit-mid-pressure.html

seems like every corps could afford to put one of these systems into use

Scott

I remember them having a misting tent at the Div II/III Prelims in Orlando in 97 & 98

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldn't it have been raining if it were 100% humidity? :drool:

Not a'tall. 100% humidity just means that the air can't absorb any more water. It might look foggy, but doesn't necessarily have anything to do with whether it'll rain or not. Fact is, when it IS raining, humidity is usually more in the 60-70% range.

I just talked with my son and he said things are okay now. He is with Capital Regiment and said that he heard 23 people from various corps were taken to hospitals, with 12 from Capital. I asked him about water breaks today and he said at least every 10 minutes they were given a break. He did notice that some members who chose to talk and socialize and not drink during this time were ones that were later taken off the field. He said that they had dinner for the corps tonight from the food trailer but the food that the Cavaliers offered was great and much appreciated.

The heat has been taken into consideration for the last few days. Capital Regiment had a free day on Sunday at a water park while in the St. Louis area and yesterday they took the afternoon off and sent the kids to do their laundry (which was still cooler than doing drill out on the field!) They have already talked about tomorrow when they will be in Oklahoma, where it is just as hot. The staff has said that they need to start hydrating for tomorrow tonight and continue drinking all through the day. They will probably practice early in the day and then sleep during the hottest part.

I hope that this doesn't situation doesn't worry people too much about Capital Regiment. I feel that my son is having a wonderful experience and that he is being well take care of. :)

I just talked with my son and he said things are okay now. He is with Capital Regiment and said that he heard 23 people from various corps were taken to hospitals, with 12 from Capital. I asked him about water breaks today and he said at least every 10 minutes they were given a break. He did notice that some members who chose to talk and socialize and not drink during this time were ones that were later taken off the field. He said that they had dinner for the corps tonight from the food trailer but the food that the Cavaliers offered was great and much appreciated.

The heat has been taken into consideration for the last few days. Capital Regiment had a free day on Sunday at a water park while in the St. Louis area and yesterday they took the afternoon off and sent the kids to do their laundry (which was still cooler than doing drill out on the field!) They have already talked about tomorrow when they will be in Oklahoma, where it is just as hot. The staff has said that they need to start hydrating for tomorrow tonight and continue drinking all through the day. They will probably practice early in the day and then sleep during the hottest part.

I hope that this doesn't situation doesn't worry people too much about Capital Regiment. I feel that my son is having a wonderful experience and that he is being well take care of. :)

Oh wow, I think we would have been kicked out of rehearsal if we had talked instead of drank during a water break on a day like that. If you refuse to take care of yourself you'll get what is coming to you in the long run.

Hopefully the kids that decided to socialize and talk had a little wake up call today!

If a corps is practicing in your area how about taking out ice, etc to them. Besides the cookies I'm taking the guard a treat of gatorade. Granted its just the 12 oz bottles i got for them but I figure it'll be a welcome treat.

I know that BK was one of those corps in '98 that changed our rehearsal times to early morning sleep in afternoon, and ensemble in the evening. This was mostly for Florida which if you've never walked around in Orlando in August, don't try it!! Ouch, the most humidity i have ever felt. Although being a native Texan i''ll never forget that hottest place I ever stayed at. Lake Mills, Wisc. It was 105 and 100% humidity. We had a similiar situation that arose like today with many members getting sick, passing out, and even an allergic reaction to a bee sting. All in al it was in preperation for Whitewater and I had to hold up a younger member in the shower to keep him cooled off. Oh and did i fail to mention that both days we were there the tornado sirens went off. The first day we huddled in the concrete tunel in the middle of school with the town's people and the night of the performance we left because we were all fed up!! Best of luck to all and I pray for good health for the rest of the season.

Wes Perkins

BK '97 '98

In referring to my own historic bad judgement, I can attest that staff are capable of tuning out tornado sirens..........in open corn fields. 25+ years later, thanks to the stranger driving by.

Allergic reactions. 1967 Nationals in New Orleans. Probably some pre-Katrina warning. Days of rain made all of the fields sinking mud pits. Under the mud; half the world's population of red ants. March, stop, sink, have those little buggers up to your knees. I think we had over 20 kids hospitalized.