Ensemble Music/The Cadets

Question: How much do you think the incredibly out of pitch singer in the ballad of The Cadets' show contributes to lower ensemble music scores, and ultimately lower GE music? From the recaps it's hard to tell. They are right around where they placed overall in those specific captions.

You're putting the singer in a tough position by asking to sing night in and night out for an entire season. What's worse is what do you do as a show designer once you realize that the pitch is never going to get to where you want it (who knows...maybe it will?? and I will proudly insert mouth into foot if it does)? Thank the singer for 80% of her summer and say it just didn't work? Of course not. However, then you have to stick with it and suck it up with the correlating sub-captions.

I simply do not understand performing a beautiful ballad with decent intonation, and layering it with a voice that has the ability to throw off a good, "goosebump" moment with SKETCH pitch.

I do, however, like it when a corps pushes the envelope and tries new things. This time I do not like the specific envelope being pushed. :beer:

Thoughts?

-Jared-

To follow up...

I like a lot of what The Cadets are doing in this show. The ballad is what's being discussed here.

-Jared-

I like the singer. I don't think she has pitch problems, and I feel that the phrase "incredibly out of pitch" is quite an exaggeration. In fact, I think she contributes quite significantly to the ballad.

Now, I don't know how the judges view her contribution in terms of GE Music, but I don't think she affects the score negatively.

Edited by jaylogan

Thanks George,

I poked around and it's a somewhat eccentric sounding piece of music. But you still don't notice pitch problems on long sustained chords, like the last big belt...or in the lower register?

I'm not criticizing effort here, only design...

-Jared-

Thanks George,

I poked around and it's a somewhat eccentric sounding piece of music. But you still don't notice pitch problems on long sustained chords, like the last big belt...or in the lower register?

I'm not criticizing effort here, only design...

-Jared-

Judging from the San Antonio show, there are no pitch problems on any sustained chords, especially the last big belt. You must be listening to some other performance.

Edited by jaylogan

she isn't "out of pitch" - google the original version if interested in the idea

Google reality, three times live so far, very out of pitch, very "confined sounding" very fake and/or forced, it doesnt flow, its not an extended thought of the original idea, its like oil and water out ont he field. THe blending effect of a full brassline is not what you get from a full brassline and a cheaply, amateur mixed , sub-par voice. and its not her fault, ANY voice would have the same effect with the mixing skills, equipment quality, and venue choice.

Sorry, get rid of it.

~G~

"Incredibly out of pitch" seems to be way overstating matters! For the most part, the singer does a good job in the ballad and contributes positively to the piece.

I will agree with some of Jared's more narrow criticisms. Some of her lines reach quite low into the alto register, and she seems to struggle with that. I also think the loud singing at the hit of the ballad turns into "belting" and her sustained note does not sound very good after the brass line cuts out. Some of the fault is the arrangement, which is maybe asking her to do things beyond her range or beyond her experience level (she's a high school student, right?).

If there's any impact of this in the scores, I assume it's in music ensemble or GE music. If there's any negative impact, it's a small one, as these are not major problems. And they may be more than balanced out by the positive musical constributions she makes elsewhere in the show.

I have not heard the San Antonio show yet, but every recording I've seen of her and live in Power Springs tells me that this was not a wise choice for them. Her voice is immature for the ballad and she does suffer from SEVERE (yes, I mean it capitalized) pitch issues.