Review: Red River Thunder

I guess I just don't get the problem. She is wearing as much or more than some of the full guards for some other corps we've seen in DCI.

Also, how would you dress her considering she is playing the Queen character keeping in mind she is spinning, running, and tumbling almost the entire show?

Let's just let it go. Agree to disagree, for goodness sakes... :blink:

P.S.-Original comment edited after much thought and conclusion that it may have sounded a bit too harsh...

Edited by Cardman

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't seen the Cadets this year so I have a question. Is the red queen's outfit worse than the outfit that Madison used for Carmen last year? I thought Carmen's outfit was pretty sleazy, but many on DCP seemed to be all ga-ga over it.

No, the red queen's outfit is not as sleazy as the one used by the Madison Scouts "guest performer" last year. You have a really good point there about people being okay with it. I was NOT okay with it, and it made me sad because I wanted to bring my son to the show I went to last year, but I was not about to submit him to that woman dancing around the field like that, and in fact, I almost didn't go myself...

This brings up an interesting question though...Are we MORE accepting of a "skimpy" outfit if the wearer fits a certain body type/is pleasing to the eyes? That's a good question, and in today's world of sleazy TV shows (desperate housewives) and movies (just pick one...) it's not surprising that mindsets are changing. Perhaps it would be better to discuss this topic in the political/current events areas...

No, the red queen's outfit is not as sleazy as the one used by the Madison Scouts "guest performer" last year. You have a really good point there about people being okay with it. I was NOT okay with it, and it made me sad because I wanted to bring my son to the show I went to last year, but I was not about to submit him to that woman dancing around the field like that, and in fact, I almost didn't go myself...

This brings up an interesting question though...Are we MORE accepting of a "skimpy" outfit if the wearer fits a certain body type/is pleasing to the eyes? That's a good question, and in today's world of sleazy TV shows (desperate housewives) and movies (just pick one...) it's not surprising that mindsets are changing. Perhaps it would be better to discuss this topic in the political/current events areas...

I didn't find the Scouts female costume sleazy at all...but then again, from the pics I have seen, I don't think the Cadets gal is wearing a sleazy one either. I think she looks great, actually.

When it comes to " the look " a Corps presents to an audience, I have to agree that The Cadets now look hideous in my opinion. The look is too tacky for my personal tastes. Some Corps, irrespective of their show design or what have you, just " look " sophisticated and classy looking this year. ( for instance, Boston, SCV, etc ) But everybody has their own personal tastes when it comes to the overall " look " of a Corps.

Edited by X DM

When it comes to " the look " a Corps presents to an audience, I have to agree that The Cadets now look hideous in my opinion. The look is too tacky for my personal tastes. Some Corps. irrespective of their show design or what have you, just " look " sophisticated and classy looking this year. ( for instance, Boston, SCV, etc ) But everybody has their own personal tastes when it comes to the overall " look " of a Corps.

Hideous is a pretty strong word to use.

Hideous is a pretty strong word to use.

I agree. It pains me to to use this term to describe The Cadets " look " this year too. This is a Corps that has presented some of the greatest " looks " of class and sophistication in the past. My hope is that they'll reevaluate their entire show design, costuming, etc in this off season. I'm not against change nor innovation. But the Cadets have lost their bearings it seems to me.

Edited by X DM

This commentary is sparked by the above debate regarding Cadet's Red Queen's outfit. I have not seen the outfit, or the performance, and this "essay" in no way is meant to reflect my opinion of the Cadets, for whom I have a LOT of respect. Nor is it an attack on any one corps in particular.

I once had a long discussion with a WGI visual judge about "sexual appropriateness" in winter guard. A group in our division at the time (mostly 12-14 year olds) were in skimpy outfits and gyrated to Fats Waller music. They did a very good job, and were, for the most part, very entertaining. However, I found the outfits inappropriate and told the judge that as a gentlemen, they made me feel somewhat uncomfortable.

Now, what I feel is inappropriate for a 14 year old may work for a young lady (or man) 5 or 6 years older. I am thinking only of the individual members of the audience's PERCEPTION of the portrayals. (I am sure there isn't a red-blooded 20-something male who wouldn't find a scantily clad young guard member alluring, however a 30, 40 or 50 year old dad might feel the uncomfortableness that I have felt at times).

I'll admit, that as an audience member I can also be something of a hypocrite. I LOVED when Blue Devils did "When a Man Loves a Woman", and also enjoyed the sensuality of their 1994 Chick Corea show. So I DO see both sides of the discussion!

This topic can be argued to death, however staff members should ask themselves a number of questions before "costuming" and choreographing a number:

1. Will the people wearing this outfit feel comfortable both physically and emotionally?

(BD seemed to be VERY comfortable, which is probably why I enjoyed their shows).

2. Will the parents of the people wearing this outfit and doing these movements feel comfortable watching their offspring perform? (Wow, after spending all this time, energy and money, my kid looks like a _______).

3. Same as above for audience members.

I don't think DCI needs a Masters and Johnson report on the habits of corps members. I am not a prude, and have not been personally offended by anything I've ever seen on the field or floor. (Or for that matter at the Superbowl).

If a character like Carmen is portrayed as a prostitute (which is what the character was written to be by Bizet), then the outfit and movement should SUGGEST that characterization in an appropriate way. (This is not a reflection of 2005 Madison's choices - I was sitting too far away at Foxboro to intelligently comment on their Carmen portrayal - I am simply using Carmen as an example).

Food for thought, if you will. Make your own judgements, and comment here or elsewhere on your reactions.

My OWN opinion is my own. I am not trying to change anybody's mind.

This commentary is sparked by the above debate regarding Cadet's Red Queen's outfit. I have not seen the outfit, or the performance, and this "essay" in no way is meant to reflect my opinion of the Cadets, for whom I have a LOT of respect. Nor is it an attack on any one corps in particular.

I once had a long discussion with a WGI visual judge about "sexual appropriateness" in winter guard. A group in our division at the time (mostly 12-14 year olds) were in skimpy outfits and gyrated to Fats Waller music. They did a very good job, and were, for the most part, very entertaining. However, I found the outfits inappropriate and told the judge that as a gentlemen, they made me feel somewhat uncomfortable.

Now, what I feel is inappropriate for a 14 year old may work for a young lady (or man) 5 or 6 years older. I am thinking only of the individual members of the audience's PERCEPTION of the portrayals. (I am sure there isn't a red-blooded 20-something male who wouldn't find a scantily clad young guard member alluring, however a 30, 40 or 50 year old dad might feel the uncomfortableness that I have felt at times).

I'll admit, that as an audience member I can also be something of a hypocrite. I LOVED when Blue Devils did "When a Man Loves a Woman", and also enjoyed the sensuality of their 1994 Chick Corea show. So I DO see both sides of the discussion!

This topic can be argued to death, however staff members should ask themselves a number of questions before "costuming" and choreographing a number:

1. Will the people wearing this outfit feel comfortable both physically and emotionally?

(BD seemed to be VERY comfortable, which is probably why I enjoyed their shows).

2. Will the parents of the people wearing this outfit and doing these movements feel comfortable watching their offspring perform? (Wow, after spending all this time, energy and money, my kid looks like a _______).

3. Same as above for audience members.

I don't think DCI needs a Masters and Johnson report on the habits of corps members. I am not a prude, and have not been personally offended by anything I've ever seen on the field or floor. (Or for that matter at the Superbowl).

If a character like Carmen is portrayed as a prostitute (which is what the character was written to be by Bizet), then the outfit and movement should SUGGEST that characterization in an appropriate way. (This is not a reflection of 2005 Madison's choices - I was sitting too far away at Foxboro to intelligently comment on their Carmen portrayal - I am simply using Carmen as an example).

Food for thought, if you will. Make your own judgements, and comment here or elsewhere on your reactions.

My OWN opinion is my own. I am not trying to change anybody's mind.

I think that the questions here that you would ask of a staff designer of a Drum Corps show most appropriate regarding the costuming of a performer in the Guard. Madison's Carmen from a costuming and protrayal in the show seemed to work for me. Without getting into to much detail here, The Cadets " costuming " does not work for me this year. There are too many characters in too many costumes....... costumes that don't " fit " in every sense of the word. There, that sums it up best for me.

Chris ncsu the Animie under your username tells alot of words. :lol:

drumhumorTerrance