perfect pitch

This entire thread remionds me of a person I was interviewing for the position of Music Minister. I am a pastor of a church, have a degree in instrumental education, and have plyed trumpet professionaly with different symphony orchestras. He did not know any of that. He comes in and immediately says his name and the fact that he has perfect pitch. He then added that I could test him.

We went itno the sanctuary and I played piano for him. He rarely came within a 4th of the note. He left convicned that he had perfect pitch, but that our digital keyboard was at least a 4th of. By the way, I did not hire him.

Mike

"At least" a 4th off? HA! If he really had perfect pitch, he would have been known EXACTLY how far your keyboard was supposedly out of tune or transposed. Good call not to hire him.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"At least" a 4th off? HA! If he really had perfect pitch, he would have been known EXACTLY how far your keyboard was supposedly out of tune or transposed. Good call not to hire him.

One of those people that are full of ####...

Folks with perfect pitch are a liiiiitle more accurate than that

Yes. Not the name of the pitch.

That's about as whacked out as mine....if not more so

Cool

I am still looking forward to hearing a counter argument or some kind of discusssion. Again, Perfect pitch does not excist. Only really well developed, internalized, relative pitch.

to be able to play in all keys, we need to break the "intune" system, so it works in all keys. Equal tempered is da word. So, someone with this so called "perfect pitch" would not be in music!! they would go nuts. Only string instruments and "the perfect instrument" (trombone,.. sorry, I'm biast ;) would physically be able to play the correct intervals and harmonies.

again, perfect pitch would indicate that 1 pitch is absolutely set,.. and we all know it isn't... Therefor I say,.. only well developed relative pitch excists. (but this doesn't sound as "cool" as saying I have perfect pitch... Oh well)

anyone think different?... BRING IT ;) (just kidding)

Barry

Forget about the ABCDEFG tone system for a moment, wouldn't you say that a person who could say 442 or 781 to describe the tone to have perfect pitch? This would be a scientific measurement (hertz or kilohertz?) rather than a culturally or regionally determined designation of pitches. It would also be able to account for some non-Western music, some of which uses quarter tones.

As others have already said, it's both a blessing and a curse...it depends on the circumstances

From Bandmaster on SM. Try it.

http://jakemandell.com/tonedeaf/

97.2% Correct.. not to toot my own horn, but I was interrupted on one or two of them and randomly clicked... so that may have been higher.

I guess that means ME= Not tonedeaf. which is a good thing.

Edited by Canadacorps