perfect pitch

This is slightly OT, but....

Does anybody out there have absolute pitch...I always thought I had a good ear, but I took a tone test today, and I was off the charts.

I'm not saying this because I'm special, but if anyone else has the trait, I'm looking for your perspective on the subject. Thanks.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anybody out there have absolute pitch...I always thought I had a good ear, but I took a tone test today, and I was off the charts.

I'm not saying this because I'm special, but if anyone else has the trait, I'm looking for your perspective on the subject. Thanks.

Hmmmmm... it really sounds like you're bragging. I think true perfect pitch is VERY rare.

If you took a tone test (where you sit in an isolation booth and mash a button when you hear a tone), that is not an indication of perfect or realitive pitch. It's only an indication of good or bad hearing.

If you took a tone test (where you sit in an isolation booth and mash a button when you hear a tone), that is not an indication of perfect or realitive pitch. It's only an indication of good or bad hearing.

I was played a series of tones, and i clicked the virtual piano keyboard. It wasn't a hearing test.

Edited by siuehist

Unfortunately, I have it. It is a blessing as well as a curse. Why do you ask?

I ask because I find it an intriguing subject. Can you hear car engines, or other noise and instantly place a note with it? I always thought that anybody with a moderate amount of musical education could accurately name a tone unassisted.

Edited by siuehist

for brass players you should for G or F

I don't have perfect pitch, but I can sing you a G any day of the week.

I've found that I'm good at memorizing pitches.

Ear training highly interests me.