The Cadets Are So Retro

When talking about costumed characaters I wonder why nobody has brought up 1992 VK. Everyone loved all that stuff. But the difference between that and The Cadets is that it was done as a joke. So does that mean that the Fat Lady was the first "guest soloist" in DCI history? :P

I think I read somewhere else it wasn't the fat "lady" singing that note (as I think it was a dude?) but there was a person on the field who did sing it...and it happened to perfectly coincide with just enough silence that you could hear it loud, high, and clear.

Contrary to some rumors, it wasn't a trumpet playing a very high note. Someone in the guard who just happened to have the ability.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, giant pink elephants, dice, and big panels are completely invisible on the audio recordings, from which I'd say I get 60% of my enjoyment of drum corps.

So why don't you petition DCI to lay down the vocalist's mic feed onto a separate track and offer APDs with and without vocals. Surely something like that would be possible. Might not be perfect because of the other wide range mics on the field, but might be better than what it is now.

So why don't you petition DCI to lay down the vocalist's mic feed onto a separate track and offer APDs with and without vocals. Surely something like that would be possible. Might not be perfect because of the other wide range mics on the field, but might be better than what it is now.

That would be pretty sweet. Probably not cost effective for DCI, though.

Yup, they had a guy in the far back field hiding in a folded backdrop of some sort. When they opened it all he had to do was stand there with his fists on his side and stick his chest out for a good 30 measures.

and, as a surprise, Cheeseman didn't have a cigarette in his mouth :P

Nah. Get Pedro Cerrano instead.

"Hopkins, I like him very much, but he no help with curveball."

#### you Jobu

The only point in terms of the design of the program that was a bit akward, and that I actually found a bit distracting, were the uniforms. A military or corps style uniform no longer makes sense with the type of productions that are out there on the field these days, especially this one. It seems kind of weird, forced and kinda square (like wearing a snorkel and flippers on the beach... with a tuxedo instead of trunks).

Military/corps stype uniforms are no longer used by colour guards, because the type of movement that they are doing cannot be executed in them, and it is a part of communicating a more complete visual theme. Why can't this visual theme be 100% consistent?

What would Cavies show look like if they were ALL robots? How cool would Blue Devils be this year with the musicians in pinstriped suits and fedoras?

An incredible amount of visual and movement possibilities could be opened up if performers weren't wearing oatmeal boxes with feathers on their head.

... there ain't no rule about uniforms.... Cadets 2007????

Knock, knock... Thank you for approaching the uniform question... Now, if I may have your attention please:

What do you make of THESE UNIFORMS? or THESE?

DISCUSSION about my Uniform designs

Most of these were just "for fun", but I thought you should know that some of us are starting to move out of our "oatmeal boxes"... :rolleyes:

Thank you.

-TGB

Oh believe me, this year's Cadets show is every much of a joke if not more so than any Velvet Knights show ever put on the field.

You know, I really don't care for NASCAR. I don't make a habit of constantly obsessing over it and posting in NASCAR threads on other forums though.

You are seriously obsessed with the Cadets this year, and it's really funny that you spend so much time talking about something you hate.