Housing in Atlanta

Or, do you mean, Housing sites at all!

I'm just wonder if other people had experience with this. In 2000, I marched with the newest Div1 corps and the second lowest scoring Div1 group from the previous year. In 2001, I marched with a perennial Finalist contender and to me, the housing site quality was much better.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That wouldn't solve the problem. You are still going to have housing issues. The corps only spend one night somewhere now.

But it might end up where fewer sites would be needed, or the corps could better handle the cost of a hotel room if needed.

Esperanza was to stay at the same school that Crown was staying at last night. After an 11 hour drive from the night before, they arrived and a few hours later, were asked to pack up and leave. DCI was there trying to negotiate. Crown was already on their way to the TN show. I don't know what happened to them. E did not have a show that night. They left and ended up rehearsing at Marietta HS and stayed at a Motel 6 a few minutes away. The kids loved the BEDS and the TV! But then, they still had no place to stay. So, after the afternnon show today, they are back on the road. The bus drivers are now pushing their limit. Currently, the plan is to stop at a mall in Chattanooga and drop the kids off, let the bus drivers sleep and then drive to Ohio. I'm sure that night in the Motel for 100 kids cost a fortune...even if it was a Motel 6.

It kind of makes one wonder if finals will ever go back to Madison again. And makes one wonder if Los Angeles will be accomodating next year.

From what I have seen, LA has been accomodating to the different corps who needed housing. I'm thinking things will work out for next year. However, the surrounding counties (and they all sort of sprawl together) have not played nice. San Diego is very unfriendly to Drum Corps as well as Orange County and parts of the Inland Empire such as Southwest Riverside County. This is hard to understand since Esperanza is centered in San Diego County, Impulse is Orange County, Pacific Crest is LA but very close to Orange County. You'd think it might be different.

Esperanza was to stay at the same school that Crown was staying at last night. After an 11 hour drive from the night before, they arrived and a few hours later, were asked to pack up and leave. DCI was there trying to negotiate. Crown was already on their way to the TN show. I don't know what happened to them. E did not have a show that night. They left and ended up rehearsing at Marietta HS and stayed at a Motel 6 a few minutes away. The kids loved the BEDS and the TV! But then, they still had no place to stay. So, after the afternnon show today, they are back on the road. The bus drivers are now pushing their limit. Currently, the plan is to stop at a mall in Chattanooga and drop the kids off, let the bus drivers sleep and then drive to Ohio. I'm sure that night in the Motel for 100 kids cost a fortune...even if it was a Motel 6.

How could that happen? Isn't housing pretty much set once the contracts and agreements are in place?

It's a small wonder that with very long bus ride, scattered Friday practice and I'm assuming no practice this AM, that Esperanza did as well as they did. I can only imagine with the extra day or day and a half of work, they would have scored several points higher. Let's hope the next week is kinder to them (and the rest of the corps) than the "hospitality" that was shown them in Atlanta.

Edited by jjlet