Housing in Atlanta

If Atlanta can't support a regional properly, this should be the last time it ends up there.

This problem isn't Atlanta's alone...I remember when Spirit didn't have housing as they headed into finals week a few years ago...I believe it was when finals were in the DC area. It is a problem no matter where a big show is held.

My school was called in an attempt to house Seattle (we're 90 minutes away), but because of our early start back to school, it wasn't considered by the administration.

Yep...I can verify what Alan stated too...too many corps didn't respect their housing sites in Atlanta in 1984. That's a shame. It has come back to bite us all in the arse.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DCI had better get ready; this is going to be a MAJOR problem in the future.

It is almost impossible to house a corps when school is in session. The school has to take care of its students first; and you cannot blame them for turning down requests of this nature. Unless the state legislatures step in and stop this insanity (IMHO) of starting school into July in some places DCI can kiss school housing goodbye. I know of a top-12 corps that had to take their sleep break on a STADIUM FLOOR (outside, mind you...) due to a lack of housing.

I believe that this dilemma could be a factor in the future of this activity. And not a positive one either... :(

Being from Western New York state (not close to NYC), and just a little over an hour from Buffalo, I can tell you that "early school starts" would never be problem in Buffalo -- NYS schools don't start until SEPTEMBER!!

That said, the corps had trouble finding sites for 2001 Finals and I helped find schools for a couple of them; my corp had LOTS of trouble in two of the three years I was on tour (Dallas in 91 and Mississississippippippi in 93), so it's not an unusual occurance.

Unfortunately, the biggest problems are past problems from housing other corps and/or lack of knowledge/understanding of drum corps from school administrations.

Being from Western New York state (not close to NYC), and just a little over an hour from Buffalo, I can tell you that "early school starts" would never be problem in Buffalo -- NYS schools don't start until SEPTEMBER!!

Pennsylvania and Jersey are the same way- start after Labor Day, but run until June 20th or so.

Hmmmm....Wisconsin law keeps public schools from starting before Sept 1 because of the resort/tourism industry, so that shouldn't be a housing issue in WI.

I know some places are uncooperative because of past experiences or a lack of experience with drum corps, so maybe its time to start offering deposits against damages, with joint inspections on checkout of the facility to ensure they get their deposits back. Something like that may be the wave of the future...putting our $$ where our mouth is, so to speak.

Also, we may need to start scouting out separate green space for practices...maybe even in the country. I personally know of a county park in the country with mowed green space at least the size of a football field, and I bet a little persuasion could be used to allow a corps to mark it with paint...its just grass, and will grow back...and there are trees and lots of shade and this park is hardly ever used. I think each of us could find places like this if we thought about it. So the corps has to be trucked to a practice site during the day...at least they would get one.

Maybe we're looking at this the wrong way. Perhaps lack of housing will lead to a return to local corps and regional circuits, especially when you factor in gas prices. Run out to a contest in the next state, spend one night somewhere, and be back in your own bed the night after.

Maybe we're looking at this the wrong way. Perhaps lack of housing will lead to a return to local corps and regional circuits, especially when you factor in gas prices. Run out to a contest in the next state, spend one night somewhere, and be back in your own bed the night after.

That wouldn't solve the problem. You are still going to have housing issues. The corps only spend one night somewhere now.

This problem isn't Atlanta's alone...I remember when Spirit didn't have housing as they headed into finals week a few years ago...I believe it was when finals were in the DC area. It is a problem no matter where a big show is held.

We had housing issues for Final week in DC back in 2000. We actually stayed at a motel one night, practiced in a mall parking lot, then went to a school where we could practice, but not sleep at. Finally we ended up at a school with (I think) Yamato.

Do the corps higher up on the competitive ladder get the better housing sites?