2006 Horn Lines

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To help me understand your rankings, what are you considering when looking at "physical demand" ? If you're taking into account factors other than drill, that's cool, but if it's primarily "drill + book= physical demand", I'll confess to being a little confused with your rankings in that department.

Madison, I agree, has a very difficult level of demand, though, to an extent, their relative difficulty in performing the drill exaggerates the level of difficulty. In other words, it looks hard cuz they're not quite getting it, which calls attention to the fact that it must be hard to do. There are others with equally difficult physical shows who are performing better, which tends to diminish the apparent difficulty (though not the actual difficulty).

To help me understand your rankings, what are you considering when looking at "physical demand" ? If you're taking into account factors other than drill, that's cool, but if it's primarily "drill + book= physical demand", I'll confess to being a little confused with your rankings in that department.

Madison, I agree, has a very difficult level of demand, though, to an extent, their relative difficulty in performing the drill exaggerates the level of difficulty. In other words, it looks hard cuz they're not quite getting it, which calls attention to the fact that it must be hard to do. There are others with equally difficult physical shows who are performing better, which tends to diminish the apparent difficulty (though not the actual difficulty).

Great point. Just because it looks hard, doesn't necesssarily mean it is. Take BD, or any of the top corps, who make the difficult look simple and easy because of their excellence.

I had no problem with the Brass placements from Atlanta (except perhaps Glassmen/Spirit). I felt the spreads were ok, however felt Cadets were put too far away from the corps above them in Brass/Ensemble Music. But these are my own observations from the upper deck and everything changes the lower you are.

Peace!

Overall physical demand: (In order)

Madison

Phantom

SCV

Cadets

Blue Devils

Blue Knights

Spirit

Blue Coats

Cavies

Crown

Glassmen

Boston

I can't take this post seriously... sorry...

that is just silly.........................................

booo

so you are saying michael Gaines , the drill writer for both spirit and cavies , wrote a more difficult book for spirit?....

.?

this is a joke

Edited by g0at

ok guys give him a break...i'm a judge too and I agree with all of 0.025% of what he said

nevermind, it's just silly although it's evident that he did try

I appreciate the fact that this guy put some thought and time into his post. That doesnt happen often enough around here.

And therefore I *can* take his post seriously, no matter how much I agree or disagree with his opinions.

Edited by The Line

I don't think his post is outrageous, I do question some of the placements but I think the post makes for very interesting conversation and isn't total out of line.

I agree with a few things, especially about the cavies placements. I think he's dead on about that! They have an incredible sound and do many things well, it's just not the hardest book in the world. Now if you take into account the drill and the book then I think they make up ground. It's just not enough to have a top 3 hornline IMO.

They are still awesome! :worthy:

Edited by Phantombari1

I don't think his post is outrageous, I do question some of the placements but I think the post makes for very interesting conversation and isn't total out of line.

I agree with a few things, especially about the cavies placements. I think he's dead on about that! They have an incredible sound and do many things well, it's just not the hardest book in the world. Now if you take into account the drill and the book then I think they make up ground. It's just not enough to have a top 3 hornline IMO.

They are still awesome! :worthy:

then hang on... if you agree with his placements, ( based on the fact that the cavies have hard drill) . Why does he place cavies near the end on drill? ( phyiscal demands)

then hang on... if you agree with his placements, ( based on the fact that the cavies have hard drill) . Why does he place cavies near the end on drill? ( phyiscal demands)

My considerations for physical demand are based on the following:

tempos

how long those tempos are susatined

large step size

how long large steps are sustained

frequency of direction change

time moving vs. time standing (full horn line and sections)

jazz running

frequency of jazz running

large steps/jazz running while playing (length of these phrases)

large steps/jazz running prior to playing (length of these phrases)

long sustained phrases (physical lung requirements)

long sustained phrases on the move

what is being sustained (physical lung requirements)

body/horn moves

combinations of all of the above

When the season is over and you have your DVDs, turn off the sound and simply watch for these things. Follow several individuals for an entire show. Follow the same approach with the sound only or your C.D.s. Try to remove personal bias. It is only human nature that liking a show or having a favorite corps often elevates our perception of what they are doing. Same concept applies to where a corps finishes competitively. The concept that the winner must have the hardest and most rewardable isn't necessarily true.

I certainly look at things much beyond the fact that if it is dirty, it must be hard.