DCI "Rankings"

Was just wondering if anybody can tell me where in the world DCI is getting their numbers from when they "rank" the corps prior to the regional events? For the last two regionals, they post the rankings on their website. When I look at them, they don't make any sense... For example, they have Glassmen ranked ahead of Blue Knights. I went to the scores section of the website, looked at all the events during the time frame, wrote down the scores for the two corps, and averaged them out... BOTH times the average I got didn't match the average they showed and I had the G-Men LOWER than BK every time. #### in the five times they've faced head-to-head this year, BK has won ALL five times! So how can they have jumped two places in the rankings? Can someone explain this to me??? :lol:

Straight from the DCI webpage that displays the rankings:

Current Division I rankings as determined by the average scores from July 23-29. These rankings are calculated by Drum Corps International at the end of each week of the Summer Music Games Tour and are used to determine the order of appearance at DCI major events. The “Change” column represents the change in rank between this week and last (July 16-22).

http://www.dci.org/news/news.cfm?news_id=8...c4-615d5c2e0d84

Was just wondering if anybody can tell me where in the world DCI is getting their numbers from when they "rank" the corps prior to the regional events? For the last two regionals, they post the rankings on their website. When I look at them, they don't make any sense... For example, they have Glassmen ranked ahead of Blue Knights. I went to the scores section of the website, looked at all the events during the time frame, wrote down the scores for the two corps, and averaged them out... BOTH times the average I got didn't match the average they showed and I had the G-Men LOWER than BK every time. #### in the five times they've faced head-to-head this year, BK has won ALL five times! So how can they have jumped two places in the rankings? Can someone explain this to me??? :lol:

July 23-29

Blue Knights

84.25 - Midland, TX (7/24)

84.05 - Wichita Falls, TX (7/25)

85.50 - Siloam Springs, AR (7/26)

86.40 - Atlanta, GA - Evening Show (7/29)

= 85.05 AVERAGE

Glassmen

85.15 - Russellville, AL (7/26)

85.225 - Atlanta, GA - Afternoon Show (7/29)

= 85.1875 AVERAGE

If a corps is performing in both the afternoon & evening shows at a major Regional, DCI uses the highest of the two scores. That is why the Glassmen's afternoon score was used since they only got a 82.90 in the evening show.

I'm not a fan of the system but DCI's math is right.

Edited by mbui

So in this case, the GMen benefitted from not having any scores figured into their average prior to 7/26.

Their weren't any other scores to figure in. Gmen only competed in 2 shows the week of the 23rd to the 29th.