I can't wait for the Div. II Wow Moment!

Hey all...

I know some do not believe the hype surrounding Arizona's first ever corps going to finals, but get ready to witness a huge wow moment when you see Tempe's own Academy Drum and Bugle Corps.

They've been on the west coast for the past few seasons, but this year they are going to Madison to shake up Division II in a huge way. I'm a 37 year drum corps vet (first show at age 8) and I haven't EVER seen a Div II, (Cadet Corps, Division B, etc., through the years) with such a mature look and sound.

You all simply NEED to see this show entitled "Danzon." In a couple of words...scary good!

I've read posts about west coast score inflation...blah blah blah blah...nope...not the deal. And when you see the first six minutes of the show...you'll think...ok...their good. Then the closer begins. I can't wait to hear the sounds of jaws dropping in Michigan City and Madison later this next two weeks.

I sat next to another 30 year+ vet in Glendale, AZ, both of us veterans of Midwest drum corps, and we said the Academy is the best Div. II corps we've ever seen.

As far as a move to Div. I, I hope they don't jump just yet. The recent moves up to Div. I haven't proved all that fruitful for many of the corps and there are a few that really should be back in Div. II. (just my opinion) Div. II can use some more sparkle and an addition to the East Coast vs. West Coast battle could be very good.

BTW, who says Div. II/III can't sell. The Glendale show had about 2000 people...average ticket price was about $17.50...total show cost estimates....my guess...under $10K. I think the Academy made a nice little sum on their Southwest Corps Connection.

Thanks for reading and I welcome your comments.

Tom Brace

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Way to go Academy! goes to prove the old saying, good things come to those who wait -- they were very wise in holding off on doing a full season of touring until they were ready. Looks like they are doing very well out east right now.

People in the Midwest have a chance to see Academy at Blue Star's La Crosse, WI home show.

Honest question, and nothing more than that. Please take at face value. If they're that good, why does it take until the closer for you see it? My favorite shows always have me on the edge of my seat from the beginning. PR's show this season is one example.

Edited by DCI_Dadx2

Honest question, and nothing more than that. Please take at face value. If they're that good, why does it take until the closer for you see it? My favorite shows always have me on the edge of my seat from the beginning. PR's show this season is one example.

This was my first year ever seeing a Drum Corp performance. I wasn't sure what to expect. The first show I went to was the Mesa, AZ show and everyone who went before Academy was pretty good, again I had nothing to go by. When Academy took the field I was in awe! When they started I couldn't help but get goose bumps. They dominate the field and suck you in from the very begining.

Edited by Academy Fan

This was my first year ever seeing a Drum Corp performance. I wasn't sure what to expect. The first show I went to was the Mesa, AZ show and everyone who went before Academy was pretty good, again I had nothing to go by. When Academy took the field I was in awe! When they started I couldn't help but get goose bumps. They dominate the field and suck you in from the very begining.

Fair enough. Thank you.

"The litany of competitive drum corps in Arizona is comparatively small: Sunset Regiment ('79-'89), Arizona Musketeers ('83-'87) and Arizona Sun ('91-'92)."

Quoted from:

http://www.drumcorpsworld.com/articles.cfm?ID=479

There were a few AZ Sun summer groups '93-'94. We tried to field a corps in '95 but folded the weekend of move in.

Edited by percman24601