Impressions from Lawrence, MA

Kudos to Boston for finding a great new stadium for their East Coast Classic show. Vetrans Memorial stadium is large and modern with great site lines. Parking was a bit difficult but you cannot have everything. The weather even cooperated a bit. After a day that featured temps in the high 90's with high humidity some light clouds moved in and a breeze picked up making the night tolerable. Now the show.

I cannot say how much I was impressed by just about all the performances tonight. I am now really excited about Allentown and Madison next week. It has been about 3 weeks since I have seen a 'live' show and it was great to see how all the corps have really stepped up their performance levels since.

7th SouthWind 76.55

When I saw this show in June there were signs that this could be a good show but many performance issues clouded my opinion. I was suprised when Pacific Crest beat them. I would of put SouthWind a couple of points over Crest. All parts of this show are finally jelling. Great impact points from Firebird at both the start and close of the show. 'Claire De Lune' was just beautiful. This is probably the most difficult show SW has attempted. They will battle it out for 17th.

6th Pacific Crest 77.2

Pacific's 'City of Angles' show was a nice change from most of the more contempory wind music being played tonight. Guard still has a lot of dirt especially during a lot of the flag work. Brass was loud and had a raw sound at times with some individuals sticking out. Guard was exhuberant and charactor work was well done. I think it will be tough for them to make semi's.

5th Blue Stars 78.3

The crowd really loved Blue Stars tonight. It is so great to see them with a full corps and a well written and performed show. The narration was a bit muddled tonight but was not overly offensive. The show is accesible and enjoyable with varied moods. I especially liked the some of the dark tinges their arrangment of 'America the Beautiful' had. This show should put them solidly in semi's. The whole organization should be proud of what they have accomplshed so far this year.

4th Capital Regiment 79.55

Another corps with a better show than last year. Thank god they got rid of the props. The music was unfamilair but evoked their 'work and play' theme nicely. A well balanced corps overall.

3rd Glassmen 86.60

I was so very impressed with Glassmen tonight. Their arrangments of Beetovhen was so much better than last year's Dvorak. This is the best show Glassmen have had in many years. The guard really captured the many moods of the music. They also had some of the most gorgeous backfield playing I have heard. Overall they are playing some of the most stunning music in DCI. They also closed the gap with BAC a bit. Ending was a bit of a let down. Things are getting very interesting in the bottom 6.

2nd Boston 88.45

I was hoping BAC would top 90 tonight but their score dropped a bit since last night. That said the put on one #### of a performance and were not the least bit intimidated by going on after Cavaliers. Again, overall a much better show, especially visually than 05. Percussion was smoking. I am a big fan of Jennifer Higdon's work and I really thought they did her music justice. Their wall of sound was impressive. Only somewhat weak spot is the guard, who although a bit better than last still a missing that little something extra. I would really hate to see this show in 9th. Scores between BAC, Santa Clara, Crown and BK will be so tight it is anyone's prediction what will happen finals night. Great show!

1rs Cavaliers 94.9

To qoute my father after seeing the Cavaliers tonight 'Unstinking believeable!'. This show has it all. Visual design and guard could really not be much better. The beauty of this show is in the detailed body movements, they have even inserted some humor that really got the crowd going. Guard uniforms are a bit over the top and the Madonna headsets are a bit silly but all of that goes out the door when they pick up equiptment and do some of the most creative work I have ever seen. My interest did fade a bit in the ballad but they got me in the end. How can BD compare to this visual design? I cannot see how they can even be considered on the same level. I have not seen BD live and although they are musically superb and have a great guard how can a rotating cross compare to what the Cavie's are doing? This show better take it all.

So over and out it is still steaming hot in Boston and I need to fit one day more of work before feasting on drum corps in Allentown!

Very nice review! Thanks for sharing.

1rs Cavaliers 94.9

...... How can BD compare to this visual design? I cannot see how they can even be considered on the same level. I have not seen BD live and although they are musically superb and have a great guard how can a rotating cross compare to what the Cavie's are doing? This show better take it all.

Amen! I've been saying this all summer. Good review.

Thanks for sharing the great review. My son called me after the show and said they put on a fantastic show and he was a little disappointed that they dropped in score, but that everybody did great and that's what counts.

Kudos to Boston for finding a great new stadium for their East Coast Classic show.

Yes, Veteran's Stadium is a great new venue for the East Coast Classic, especially since it has its own T stop so I can get there from Eastie!

Where were the Imperials? John S. what gives? How many horns ya got?

Thank you for the really nice review!

It is good to also hear such great news about this renovated stadium returning to life.

I had thought I might take my grandkids to this show, but they were busy with other summer childhood things ... going to scout camp. Maybe next year, I hope.