Bad Starts to a Drum Corps Career

Lot of theads recently about how "Drum Corps is about winning", GH not happy with Cadets placements, etc, etc. OK, let's focus our attention on some moments that made us cringe but never took anything away from our love for the activity.

Here is how my Drum Corps "Career" started:

First corps folded three months after I joined. We were a "start up" corps that never quite started. :P

First show was week before DCA (my second corps). The corps had been inactive and started very late in the season. We set a record for lowest score ever achieved in DCA competition 37.35. Record stood for a few years.

First DCA Prelims was week after the 37.35 show. Came in 15th....... out of 15 corps.

Second season we did a lot of DCA shows to get needed $$$$ to stay on the field. Got our brains bashed in by Cabs, Buccs, and other big corps. Wasn't until week before DCA we actually beat another corps. (And one of those corps folded after DCA that year.)

OK, let's hear your story.... B)

I guess this counts, but I won't get to finish my rookie year as a marching memeber, if I do go to finals, it will be standing on the sideline, on crutches, in my corps jacket, and that's a real big if. I tore my ACL while we were rehearsing for my home show.....

I guess this counts, but I won't get to finish my rookie year as a marching memeber, if I do go to finals, it will be standing on the sideline, on crutches, in my corps jacket, and that's a real big if. I tore my ACL while we were rehearsing for my home show.....

Sorry to hear about your injury. Hang in there and we hope to see you back on the field next year.

BTW: That is the most disgusting avatar i have ever seen.

:blink:

Sorry to hear about your injury. Hang in there and we hope to see you back on the field next year.

BTW: That is the most disgusting avatar i have ever seen.

:blink:

Ditto about the injury and hoping to see you next year. Now you avatar - I think it's hilarious! b**bs

My first year in drum corps (PR Cadets 1980) was still under the tick system and for about the first half of the season, we would "zero out" at most shows. They wouldn't even announce a score for us..... they'd just say "In 7th place.... the Phantom Regiment Cadets".

On the up side, I was named "rookie of the year" that year for our corps, but it's not really saying much when you're deemed to be the best of the bad.

My first show...Franklin Park, IL - 27.50.

My second show...Schaumburg, IL - 17.50.

In Schaumburg, we were DEEP in last place and zeroed out in a couple of captions. At least we beat a few corps in Franklin Park.

High score of the 1978 season...DCI Class A Prelims - 28.45 16th place. Lost to the South Bay Medieval Barons by .1. At least we weren't in last place.

Bottom line: We stunk up the field every show. Sadly, I have proof; a Ken Kobold recording of the DCI Class A Prelims show. It was really bad.

At least my junior corps career ended on a much better note. It started with "South Rampart Street Parade" and ended with "Elsa's Procession To the Cathedral".

Edited by Jd83

First year in corps: Dead last, open class, 1989 prelims. Missed a show appearance, Director left, corps nearly mutinied.

South Bay Medieval Barons

What a great name.

It's still better than scoring a 17.50 or zeroing out.

It's just varying levels of awful.

FWIW, I loved our show...I still think it's cool as anything. :P