Who was your Corps Director? Time to recognize .

Kevin Smith. The one and only director of Carolina Crown. And still doing an amazing job

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From Miami; Through the years:

Ed Burke

Bill Hayes

#### (I'd better say Richard) Filkins

#### (Also Richard) Klund

Val Capone

Sunrisers:

Mike DeLorenzo

Reilly Alumni:

Carl "Govie" Place

And, I know what you mean, Jeff. I had the honor of working for Robbie (Zo) & Charlotte Robinson (and their little dog too) at the Crossmen and (take the good with the bad) Len Halliburton at Belleville.

Can't run all those credits without adding my heroes:

Frank Pamper: Des Plaines Vanguard

Hugh Mahon: Garfield Cadets (Hey Huey - you remember that I named my baby after your daughter Colleen? Mine just turned 31 b**bs )

Joe Courtney was director of the Vaquero's when I was in in the '70's. My first corps, and he was the mild mannered corps director who knew EVERYONE ...

and I do mean everyone. Joe is still involved in drum corps, and in fact works over at the DCI office in Addison, IL.

Gosh... I'm not sure just who the real corps director was when I was in the Guardsmen... HA!! OK, OK... it was Ray Harty. There was another gentleman who

took the helm for a while between '77 and '78 for the Guardsmen, but I forget his name.

And of course Scott Stewart in Madison. He's currently my "corps director" (actually it's more a unified team) in the reunion project as well. Still a great guy

and a great corps director.

Bob Lendman.

In his post-Regiment days, he went on to work with Bill Cook and Jim Mason at Star. I think Bob stills works for Bill Cook's medical device company. I know Pat Seidling stays in fairly close contact with him.

Jack Bevins with VK who somehow got me home to Denver from Birmingham and Miami and lived with him one summer. Who didn't live at Jack's house?? Boy did I learn a lot about the politics and financial aspects of drum corps from him. He's now semi retired living in Longmont? Colorado but currently on tour with the Blue Knights. And Bob Lendman and Moe Latour with the Blue Stars in 82. Did everything possible to keep the corps afloat picking up kids in Colorado, Utah, California during 1st tour not to mention the 15-20 kids that joined from the Spokane area (Rogers High School?)a month before the season started. Moe still with Cadets and last saw Bob at a Blue Star reunion on semis day in Denver. Bob and his wife Allison drove all the western US kids home themselves after Montreal. I won't mention Allison ramming the #### out of two cars in Varennes, PQ with one of the buses. Oops, sorry. One of my favorite memories along with the Puker and Mr. Rogers.

Gosh... I'm not sure just who the real corps director was when I was in the Guardsmen... HA!! OK, OK... it was Ray Harty. There was another gentleman who took the helm for a while between '77 and '78 for the Guardsmen, but I forget his name.

Dewayne Shipley?

Forget the director. Find Claudia Hardy. (as the Cat in the Hat would say: "humana humana")

I guess we were a little spoiled in Bloomington. Jim Mason may cause some polar reactions with the alumni, but he lead the corps through the crazy chaotic ride of the first few years. That was a tougher job then most can imagine. But Jim had some great folks to lean on. Bob and Allison Lendman were a crucial part of the Star family. They were there from day 1. Bob got the corps down the road as good as any corps had ever done. Moe Latour had the day to day running of the corps down to a science. Together these three directors and ex-directors created a model for how a corps should function to give it's members the experience of a lifetime.

George Bonfiglio, the director of 27th, his family, and the whole instructional team who gave so selflessly.

At Glassmen -- Dan Acheson. What a great guy. I was only 14 and 15 at the time, and I still remember how well organized he was.

Phantom Regiment -- that's a different story. I marched during the dark years with financial trouble. I know we had David Kampshoer. (sp?) I know he's supposed to be a legend with Blue Stars, but I hated the guy. Thought we was a senile old man, then we had Johnny Baumgartner. Thank god Bill Roebok and Dr. Dan were theye for us

I’ve had the pleasure of knowing two great founding directors and DC legends. I marched for Gail Royer and loved and respected him. I didn’t have much contact with him after my marching days until SCV celebrated its 25th anniversary. Unfortunately our re-connect was all to short as Gail passed away not long after. Jerry and I developed a great friendship when I moved to Lake Wildwood and discovered he was a neighbor. I miss my friend dearly, especially this time of year. He would call me every time BD defeated SCV and say, “What’s wrong with the Vanguards?” He always added the plural “s” because he knew how much it bugged me.

Jerry and Gail, founders of two of the most dominant DC in the history of the activity! Two men who were in many ways so different yet in many ways the same. May they both RIP.