Chicago Traffic

Well, you'll be passing through during one of Chicago's two seasons: Construction. The other one is winter.

What time are you planning on going through Chicago?? Do it after 8 pm or before 7 am. If you want to go through the city I suggest shoot up all the way to the Chicago Skyway and hit 90/94. Of course there is the monster Dan Ryan construction right now so if you plan on going through there +/- three hours of rush hour, good luck. Then again coming 294 westbound from Indiana is just as ugly with the construction. But if you do the 294 route...go 294 to 290 West, which will take you right back to 90 in Schaumburg.

Go through the city during non-peak hours if at all possible.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The only reason to take 94 is if you want to stop at the Mars Cheese Castle on the way up toward Milwaukee first. :P

.. or the Brat Stop!

I'm flying into O'Hare at around 3:00 pm on Thurday, and Mapquest recommends that I take 190 to 90 to get into Madison... is that the quickest way? I'm fine with paying some tolls, I just want to avoid missing as much of quarterfinals as possible. Also, how much should I expect to pay in tolls?

Thanks for the help! :)

I'm flying into O'Hare at around 3:00 pm on Thurday, and Mapquest recommends that I take 190 to 90 to get into Madison... is that the quickest way? I'm fine with paying some tolls, I just want to avoid missing as much of quarterfinals as possible. Also, how much should I expect to pay in tolls?

Thanks for the help! :)

That is the quickest way.... Without an I-pass there are about 5 tolls between O'Hare and Madison with each toll just under a dollar...should take you somewhere around 2 hrs 15 minutes.

Thanks for the heads up, guys... I'm not looking forward to driving in, but once I'm there, it should be a blast!

Edited by Keith Laubhan

As someone who has lived in Chicago all his life all the suggestions here are good one's. I add only one, try to travel through Chicago between 12 midnight and 4 AM. But even then you might hit some late nite lane closures which seem to change nightly.

I do suggest bypassing the Dan Ryan entirely. It is a mess all hours of the day then once you make it through the Dan Ryan then you have to deal with 90 and it's contruction then the gosh darn toll booth reconstruction. 294 and/or 290 to 53 to 90 is, in my optinion, the best route.

From O'Hare, yes, 90 would be the fastest route. Plan on a few dollars in tolls each way.

AM 780 (as in radio station) has updates on highways every ten minutes. I usually tune in while still east of Valpo.

So, when you're parked on the tri-state for 3 hours you can hear about how everyone else is in a log-jam on your alternate routes.

The toll plaza at Beloit can back up several miles northbound, but that is (hopefully) mainly on weekends. Surface roads (251(?) through loves park et al) have been an OK alternate; ask your friendly toll-taker about calamities ahead.