Dark horse

Phantom, the darkest dark horse, will likely be the fan's favorite all 3 nights in Madison, and can only hope that the judges come over to the dark side by finals. I don't see them coming in first on Thursday, 10% chance on Friday, and 30% chance on Saturday.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only clear answer is the SCV cymbal line. I'm predicting a come-from-behind victory in the most brutal way possible.

1.) SCV Cymbal Line

2.) Cavaliers

3.) Blue Devils

4.) Phantom Regiment

5.) The Rest of SCV

6.) Cadets

7.) Bluecoats

8.) Carolina Crown

Only logical thing that can happen at this point imo

Vanguard2.jpg

:blink:

I LOVE IT! SCV Cymbal line will ALWAYS be worth the price of admission! Why not give 'em a world title. I&E can't contain the world's best cymbal line!

Phantom, the darkest dark horse, will likely be the fan's favorite all 3 nights in Madison, and can only hope that the judges come over to the dark side by finals. I don't see them coming in first on Thursday, 10% chance on Friday, and 30% chance on Saturday.

I agree.

I agree.

I sure as #### agree that Phantom has the opportunity and ability to pull this one off, but I wouldn't consider them a dark horse. At least not anymore.

Right now, a good dark horse would be SCV, but unfortunately, I don't think it'd be likely they'd break top 3. :blink:

Edited by Backstrom

There is no dark horse this year. Yeah, I know it's happened in the past. Let's see here... Cadets '92 (7th to 2nd), PR '96 to tie BD, and SCV in '99 to tie BD as well- just to name a few examples in recent history. But let us also not forget that these instances are rare and you can't expect stuff like that to happen every year. No one has the strength of show design and/or the favor of the judges to pull it off this year.

As much as we all like to root for the underdogs it just isn't going to happen. The Cavaliers and Blue Devils are the most clean as of the last competition, not to mention the fact that both of them are performing the #### out of their shows. The standings have pretty much been decided. Don't expect to see much movement in the top twelve at all, especially at this point in the season. The battle for the championship is between the Cavies and BD. The scores after quaterfinals should give us a clearer picture of DCI's 2006 champ.

I don't even know why you guys started this thread. What happens in slots 3-12 is virtually meaningless because it doesn't effect the private duel between slots 1 and 2. I would say that slots 3 and 4 play a minor role if they were clean enough. In my opinion, Phantom and the Cadets both have championship shows. It's just the simple fact that they're dirty. There are still people in PR that are out of step at this point in the season. Now that may be more visible because of the white pants and shoes, but it doesn't change the fact that there are still individuals that are still out of step the week of Finals. Phantom moves very well (better than just about everyone in the activity), they possess such a rich and beautiful hornline sound, and their percussion is top notch. The concept of Faust is one of the fan favorites this year and the musical selection is impecible. However, the actual performance of Faust isn't up to par with BD and the Green Machine.

The same is true of the Cadets. Through the Looking Glass is an expansion on the Dreamscapes concept, and one would think it would have the same success. Unfortunately there are some issues in key spots of the corps. Basically the show is dirty and (just like Phantom) this show also is not being performed on the same level as the top two corps. Despite having one of the best drumlines, hornlines, and the best guard of 2006... the Cadets are just dirty. They move well but not well enough to go any higher than fourth place this year. Let's face it. As entertaining as this show is... there's just too much going on. The complexity of show design is just too obscure for the judges to comprehend. They don't know how to judge this show. That's the main problem with it. There's too much to focus on and Mark Sylvester's ideas pretty much defy any crition that is standard the DCI judge's repertoire. That and... yes again... the Cadets are dirty. It's a young corps. I think there are a total of 44 rookies in the hornline. That's just in the hornline, people. And I believe there are 8 new guys on snare. There's a big difference between having 8 freshmen and 8 seniors. That's pretty much what it boils down to. They don't really know how to get to the next level yet because the vast majority of them have never performed on this level before. They're not experienced enough yet. That is just how it happens sometimes. It's different from year to year, but these kids are still performing as solid show, and that goes for PR too.

[sIDE NOTE: I'm so tired of everyone slamming the Cadets because they either don't like the show or they don't like the use of vocals and amps or they're just to dumb to understand that this is a continuation of last year's show with an Alice in Wonderland twist. It's not hard to understand. Get over it, guys. The Cadets have won nine, NINE DCI World Championship trophies since Hopkins took over in 1982/1983. I don't care who you are, that's impressive. The only corps that can boast more is BD and they have eleven. I think the Cadets have earned the right to do whatever they want on the field. Besides, it's not like everyone's going to have a singer next year. And people have been utilizing amplification since 2000. I swear you act like vocalization hasn't been used on the field before this year. You must be the same people that want piston and valve rotars back and everyone highstepping to Sousa with symmetrical drill. At least Hopkins is attempting something new that no one else is doing, and I think he's earned the right to. This is just one show. Hopkins and Mark Sylvester are just men. The Cadets are just one corps. They are not rewriting the rules or anything so just relax and enjoy the show. Or just go get some concessions during it. Do whatever you want, but don't slam a corps for pushing the envelope and experimenting when no one else is. This is the only way the activity can progress. People have to try new things, like marching backwards and asymmetrical drill. Even the use of Bb and F horns has opened up the activity open it up to more interested individuals. Yeah, I bet you're still upset about that too, huh? If anything experimentation of this nature leads to new and better things. I know for a fact that no one wants drum corps to be like it was pre-1980.]

So in conclusion, a clean and easy show beats and difficult, dirty show. That's it and everyone knows. Well, I would hope everyone realizes that. If you don't get it, you should. Watch BD and Cavies. Their drill is simplistic in nature and they're owning it- not to mention everyone else in DCI at the moment. Now that may change over the course of the next several days, but that is highly unlikely. You're pretty much going to stay where you are right now. You've had every opportunity to advance in the standings so far this season. If you haven't beaten they guy ahead of you by now, chances are you aren't going to beat him during finals week. It's been a good year for drum corps no matter the outcome. Just know that there is no 'Dark Horse' this year.

Edited by SaxmanSilver

Dark Horses

2004-----Bluecoats

2005-----Bluecoats

This year, I see Phantom winning and Bluecoats finishing 3rd.

Cadets in 6th would be nice.

"I don't even know why you guys started this thread. What happens in slots 3-12 is virtually meaningless because it doesn't effect the private duel between slots 1 and 2."

I am guessing you didn't say this to be mean, but I bet it is NOT meaningless to the certain groups and their fans. I bet Colts, Crossman and Spirit people are MUCH more concerned about 12th place than 1st. Two years ago I read a study about competition and its influence on American culture. It states that as far as importance the most two important places are 1st and then the last one to make the cut off in a play-off or "finals" situation. In other words, 1st place and then 12th place. If your fighting for 6 or 7 the level of stress is much, much less. Again, I"m sure its very important to number 6 or 7, but in the realm of pshychological stress and what people remember, it pales by comparison.

"I don't even know why you guys started this thread. What happens in slots 3-12 is virtually meaningless because it doesn't effect the private duel between slots 1 and 2."

I am guessing you didn't say this to be mean, but I bet it is NOT meaningless to the certain groups and their fans. I bet Colts, Crossman and Spirit people are MUCH more concerned about 12th place than 1st. Two years ago I read a study about competition and its influence on American culture. It states that as far as importance the most two important places are 1st and then the last one to make the cut off in a play-off or "finals" situation. In other words, 1st place and then 12th place. If your fighting for 6 or 7 the level of stress is much, much less. Again, I"m sure its very important to number 6 or 7, but in the realm of pshychological stress and what people remember, it pales by comparison.

You're right. I wasn't trying to be mean by making that statement. I was just saying that in regards to winning the championship this year. The battle is between BD and the Cavies... no one eles. There is no dark horse in 2006.

[sIDE NOTE: I'm so tired of everyone slamming the Cadets because they either don't like the show or they don't like the use of vocals and amps or they're just to dumb to understand that this is a continuation of last year's show with an Alice in Wonderland twist. It's not hard to understand. Get over it, guys.

I agree. I'm just sick of people slammin' vocals, amps and the Cadets show. Just get over it. Enjoy the last few days of the music games.

BackBeat

I don't even know why you guys started this thread. What happens in slots 3-12 is virtually meaningless because it doesn't effect the private duel between slots 1 and 2. I would say that slots 3 and 4 play a minor role if they were clean enough.

I have a distinct feeling that anyoen associated with 96 Regiment would disagree with this statement.

4th on thursday, 3rd on friday, tie for first on saturday is not virtually meaningless.