Class A Corps Jumping into Open Class

So, the rules state that the top 10 corps are placed into Open Class Finals, and the top 3 remaining Class A corps make up the Class A Finals. Conceivably, a Class A corps could score high enough to be in the Open Class Finals (depsite the fact that this has never happened).

Here's the question: What if this hypothetical Class A corps that scores high enough in prelims to be in the Open Class Finals declines? What if the leadership would prefer that, despite ranking high enoughto make the jump, their corps stays in the running for the Class A Crown instead? Is that something allowed by DCA, or would the corps be required to move up in class for Finals?

And another point for discussion: If you were a director of a Class A corps that did make it into Open Class Finals, would you want to stay in Class A? Why or why not?

So, the rules state that the top 10 corps are placed into Open Class Finals, and the top 3 remaining Class A corps make up the Class A Finals. Conceivably, a Class A corps could score high enough to be in the Open Class Finals (depsite the fact that this has never happened).

Here's the question: What if this hypothetical Class A corps that scores high enough in prelims to be in the Open Class Finals declines? What if the leadership would prefer that, despite ranking high enoughto make the jump, their corps stays in the running for the Class A Crown instead? Is that something allowed by DCA, or would the corps be required to move up in class for Finals?

And another point for discussion: If you were a director of a Class A corps that did make it into Open Class Finals, would you want to stay in Class A? Why or why not?

Matthew,

The Class A corps that makes Open Class finals is given the option of moving up to perform in Open Class at Finals, thus giving up its Class A "prelim" title ..... or it may option to stay as a Class A finalist, thus moving the next "placement" corps into Open Class finals.

Matthew,

The Class A corps that makes Open Class finals is given the option of moving up to perform in Open Class at Finals, thus giving up its Class A "prelim" title ..... or it may option to stay as a Class A finalist, thus moving the next "placement" corps into Open Class finals.

Thank you! Whenever I've seen this rule stated, it's always been in absolute terms (as if said Class A corps had to move up, or if the choice to not move up would be clandestine). Hence, my question.

i know a few years back, in 2004, when kingston grenadiers dropped from openclass to class a, if i am not mistaken, i think they missed the cut off date to declare, and were told that if they scored higher then 2 opne class finalists or something to that degree they would have to compete in open class finals, someone can correct if i am wrong,

i know a few years back, in 2004, when kingston grenadiers dropped from openclass to class a, if i am not mistaken, i think they missed the cut off date to declare, and were told that if they scored higher then 2 opne class finalists or something to that degree they would have to compete in open class finals, someone can correct if i am wrong,

Just to clear things up Grenadiers made the cut off date and it was changed the following year. As far as moving to open class the motivation to surrender the title for class A would be economics. As the rules stands I would for my corps support having the option .

D.Dean