DCI is moving to Indy

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Psst. Indiana is a state IndianaPOLIS is the city.

I realize it's probably a dumb typo, but some people actually get the two mixed up.

And they call us natives dumb..... :P

All in good fun, people, chill. :)

Edited by CorpsPhan

It was announced during the press conference that finals will be held someplace OTHER than Indianapolis in 2014 . . . so you can begin lobbying for your favorite city now. ;-)

If Lucas Oil Stadium is not ready by August 9, 2008, Finals will be held in Bloomington. (Let's all pray that doesn't happen, because it will be a bloody nightmare for everyone if the location needs to be moved 60 miles on only a few months' notice -- just think of everyone's hotel reservations, for starters).

According to the FAQ at DCI.org, DCI has remedies if the acoustics are not up to snuff. That being said, IMHO, while the acoustics likely will not be as good as in a true outdoor stadium, they should be better than in completely enclosed stadia like the Alamodome, RCA Arena and Georgia Dome. There is even the possibility that the sound could be better here than in some other venues (I'm particularly thinking about the upper decks).

Face it folks, this is becoming more and more an indoor activity. Probably not the worst thing either since it will eliminate the chance of rain-outs and increase spectators' comfort.

I also think it is rather ironic that the last Championships before the "indoor era" will be held at the Rose Bowl, which will be the most beautiful outdoor venue to have ever hosted a DCI Finals (I'm speaking of the beauty of the surrounding location, not the stadium itself).

P.S. -- For those conspiracy theorists predicting that this is one more step towards a DCI/BOA merger, I will point out that these two organizations were both based in the western suburbs of Chicago for many years . . . and didn't merge.

Edited by ChiBoyinLA

i am dissapointed by dci. <**>

i just don't like the idea of world championships not moving around from year to year. to me, boa grand nationals is monotonous always being held in the same place and dci would be just the same. it isn't fair for corps from california or florida or even new england to have to year after year after year travel the most. meanwhile, dci sets up shop in one location just so it is easier for them to pull the event off.

i thought the hold point of a governing body was to help make it easier for the member corps. this doesn't seem to make it any easier for the seattle cascades or the santa clara vanguard to get to world championships. what, with the way gas and other commodities have skyrocketed in the past four years.

i think dci is making a big mistake.

oh, and another thing! could dci have picked a more BORING city in the country? Indianapolis, although immaculately clean, is the most funless city i have ever been to.

If Lucas Oil Stadium is not ready by August 9, 2008, Finals will be held in Bloomington. (Let's all pray that doesn't happen, because it will be a bloody nightmare for everyone if the location needs to be moved 60 miles on only a few months' notice -- just think of everyone's hotel reservations, for starters).

According to the FAQ at DCI.org, DCI has remedies if the acoustics are not up to snuff. That being said, IMHO, while the acoustics likely will not be as good as in a true outdoor stadium, they should be better than in completely enclosed stadia like the Alamodome, RCA Arena and Georgia Dome. There is even the possibility that the sound could be better here than in some other venues (I'm particularly thinking about the upper decks).

If by chance finals had to be moved to Memorial Stadium it would be a bit of an inconvience but not that bad. It is not 60 miles away. Less then an hour in fact. I doubt most would even move their reservations.

All this talk of Accoustics is getting silly. NO championships sight has ever been choosen for accoustics. Is it just me but doesn't anyone remember the wonderful echo in Olympic Stadium where the largest crowd in the history of DCI watched championships? Please. Before most drum corps fans had even heard of Lucas Oil Stadium one of the features taughted in it's design was improved accoustics because it will house concert events and basketball games. With it's volume it should be far superior to RCA Dome even with the roof closed. I'm calling this a dead horse, but feel free to keep beating it.