UK Drumcorps Question

I've recently started to learn about the international scene in drumcorps, and I have a question I can't seem to quite find an answer to, are there any all age corps based in the UK, everything I've seen puts an upper age cap at 25. Thanks

Hi Dan,

Currently there are two open-age corps in Britain, Senators and Northern Star. Senators became open-age this year, and I believe Northern Star became open-age in 2005.

Both corps are competing at DCE finals this year, with Senators also doing exhibitions at DCUK shows (where the age limit is 25 with 3 "over-age" members also permitted) and Northern Star also competing on the BYBA circuit (this has similar age restrictions to DCUK, however Northern Star I imagine are dropping a number of "over-age" members for those shows to fit into the competition rules).

I believe the sort of number are as follows:

Senators, c.65 members, with approximately 20 over 25

Northern Star , c.55 members, with approximately 10 over 25 (Someone might like to confirm these figures??)

The way things are going at the moment, I would not be surprised if both DCUK and BYBA introduce a competitive division for open-age corps next year, allowing more UK corps to march over 25's and therefore compete on a more level field with corps in mainland Europe which are not bound by age restrictions.

Edited by East

Not bad for DCP Rookie East!!!! :grouphug: I'am stunned!

Terrance :laugh:

Thank you very much for the information!!!

I'm planning on doing a "study abroad" program with my college at some point, and since I'll be in the UK for about a year, I thought it would fun to keep marching!!!

Hi Dan,

Currently there are two open-age corps in Britain, Senators and Northern Star. Senators became open-age this year, and I believe Northern Star became open-age in 2005.

Both corps are competing at DCE finals this year, with Senators also doing exhibitions at DCUK shows (where the age limit is 25 with 3 "over-age" members also permitted) and Northern Star also competing on the BYBA circuit (this has similar age restrictions to DCUK, however Northern Star I imagine are dropping a number of "over-age" members for those shows to fit into the competition rules).

I believe the sort of number are as follows:

Senators, c.65 memers, with approximately 20 over 25

Northern Star , c.55 members, with approximately 10 over 25 (Someone might like to confirm these figures??)

The way things are going at the moment, I would not be surprised if both DCUK and BYBA introduce a competitive division for open-age corps next year, allowing more UK corps to march over 25's and therefore compete on a more level field with corps in mainland Europe which are not bound by age restrictions.

Any chance that in the future we might see these all-age groups coming across the big pond to join in the fun of DCA championships? If not as a competing corps, maybe exhibition during prelims and finals? I know there's a lot of work involved in it and it may just not be possible.. but it's an idea. Besides, there are other things that your groups could do when they come over... minicorps, I&E.

I'd go for a Dagenham Crusaders reunion corps....just give me my plates back!!

East....you said "(where the age limit is 25 with 3 "over-age" members also permitted)" When did that change? In 86 when the rule was first instituted, it was a max of 10% in each major section (brass, perc, guard) that could be over DCi age.

That's how I ended up playing cymbals at Dag in the first place....the horn line already had it's allotment.

• 2 weeks later...
I'd go for a Dagenham Crusaders reunion corps....just give me my plates back!!

East....you said "(where the age limit is 25 with 3 "over-age" members also permitted)" When did that change? In 86 when the rule was first instituted, it was a max of 10% in each major section (brass, perc, guard) that could be over DCi age.

That's how I ended up playing cymbals at Dag in the first place....the horn line already had it's allotment.

I'm not completely sure on the development of the age rules, I know that in the BYBA the three overage members has been in for a number of years, but I believe that 1999 was when this rule entered DCUK. That year we had a 30(ish) year-old rookie march in Senators :)

Edited by East