27th question

financial reasons are the main reason the corps folded. the buses we had were the same ones that were mentioned earlier.

we had a ton of breakdowns that year to the point we had to borrow a bus from star. for the past three years starting in 84 the corps was having trouble getting enough members. 84 we got a lot of kids from alliance which helped that year 85 it was pride of cincy and 86 it was avant guard. the kids that came over from avant guard were the best. they really would have created a great nucleus for the corp(sorry for the spelling).

Rumor has it that word leaked out during the week of nationals we would not be returning whether we made finals or not.

Is that the reason we did not make finals could not tell you. did not see the other corps performances that night to see how we compared.

It was heartbreaking not to make it two years straight and fold at the same time. I'm just glad I got to experience what is to be a 27th Lancer.

It's wild that this topic has been brought up this week as it was 20 years ago that the 27th Lancers folded in 1986. I was there with Keith. And we can tell you it was awful. We missed finals by like.. what 2/10ths of a point? I have the group photo of that year. We were so happy with our performance we thought for sure we made finals. You can tell by the picture. We just found out we missed finals. We went on right after Blue Devils which may have had something to do with that, we'll never know.

As most have already pointed out, Jimmy and Keith the reasons why 27th Lancers folded were a combination. The bus breakdowns. How Star got us to Madison that year from their show in Bloomington. The young lady who approached George B., (I was scared too). But it almost became second nature.

Also Keith, the Memphis Blues sent their members up to 27 from 1983 and 1984. Alot were from Pride and Avant Garde and Memphis Blues in those years I marched. All the soloist in 85 were from Memphis. We needed that extra money that you got from being in the top 12, it would've helped but from what I was told, we needed much more then that to survive.

I know I paid my dues back then which were like $450 or something like that. I "graduated" a 27th Lancer which was my proudest moment. I marched 3 years and aged out with the corps.

And the sign, that was one of the most emotional things after folding. Carrying that sign through the stands with my fellow Lancers. Standing in the parking lot arm and arm with our Star of Indiana brothers and singing "Danny Boy" at the top of our lungs.... :(

And I agree with Keith, it was amazing to experience just being a 27th Lancer. We had a lot of heart and soul those final years. Carrying that banner through the crowd..yeah the most gut wrenching thing to me... :(

It's hard to believe the corps 40th anniversary is coming up next year.

"Part of the financial issue was that back then if you didn't make the top 12, you didn't get show money the next year. (someone please correct me if I'm wrong on that) Now its structured so that corps outside of the top 12 also get funds for each show from DCI, just at a lesser amount than the top corps."

Dumbest rule in all of DCI. If you don't make top 12, you can just go and die. Part of their detestable work ethic.

You're exactly right..it is a stupid rule. George B. tried to get that rule changed...

p.s. I think the decision to allow non-alumni into the 1994 corps was a brave and right decision. It gave people who never got the chance to march with 27th their opportunity to show they have what it takes. The break-up of ANY corps does not just effect that organization, it saddens the entire drum corps community.

####, yes!

[i just previewed my own post. What kind of mommy-state web site is this? It filters out the "h" word. You've got to be kidding....]

And the sign, that was one of the most emotional things after folding. Carrying that sign through the stands with my fellow Lancers. Standing in the parking lot arm and arm with our Star of Indiana brothers and singing "Danny Boy" at the top of our lungs.... :(

I remember the sign but I had completely forgotten about the parking lot. I was 7 when I first saw 27 in '77. I am a color guard person so needless to say 27 had my attention every time I had the chance to see them my first 4 yrs marching in a smaller corps. 86 was my first year with

Star. I was in such awe after watching 27 for eight years to be standing with them in the parking lot was amazing. I can't believe I forgot that!

Also I now remember Star age outs and I believe Cavie age outs (not sure) leaving their shoes on the field saying 27.

####, yes!

[i just previewed my own post. What kind of mommy-state web site is this? It filters out the "h" word. You've got to be kidding....]

Finally got a ####, yes! for one of my posts!!

####!

I remember the sign but I had completely forgotten about the parking lot. I was 7 when I first saw 27 in '77. I am a color guard person so needless to say 27 had my attention every time I had the chance to see them my first 4 yrs marching in a smaller corps. 86 was my first year with

Star. I was in such awe after watching 27 for eight years to be standing with them in the parking lot was amazing. I can't believe I forgot that!

Also I now remember Star age outs and I believe Cavie age outs (not sure) leaving their shoes on the field saying 27.

I think those are my shoes and spats they took on the field for me. I had friends in both corps. I posted that picture in the other thread about this.

Edited by Lancerlady

Knowing how Mr. B was ( that's what we called him in school) everything that was said here is absolutely true. What a wonderful guy. All he ever cared about was the kids whether being in drum corps or school. Last day of school maybe 78or79 he saw me leaving, yelled with his booming voice, and said good luck on the road and don't forget to be safe. It didn't matter to him that I wasn't a Lancer. I was sorry to see them go as were a lot of people around the north shore.

Edited by BAC76-80

Let me share some first-hand information on WHEN it was determined that the corps would "retire". As for rumors circulating, I never heard a one from anybody throughout the 86 season. That would include Finals week. Any rumors that may have floated were probably generated by people outside the organization who could not believe the endurance witnessed of the members of the 86 Lancers.

That year, scores were NOT announced until the end of Prelims. Each corps had their own summary sheet and shared their numbers backstage. Our staff knew the number needed to pass the Troopers for a Finals spot. That year, there were (5) corps wrestling for the final-four spots.

After the performance, I remember a fellow management member walking up the hill with tears in her eyes carrying our summary sheet. A few feet away, the corps was setting up for the Corps photo that Stephanie talks about. Darlene Bonfiglio Stannard (RIP, dear sister) asked me to accompany her Dad for the rest of the show.

I remember George and I standing under the goal post in the end zone. Neither of us said a word. We were both in a sad state. As the Tour Manager for the 86 Lancers, I can tell everyone that the first time I ever heard news of the corps going inactive was when Gale Royer (RIP) approached the two of us crying in sadness after hearing of us not making it!

George simply turned to his dear old friend, gave him a hug, and told him that "....We can't go on like this!"

Most of the other reasons stated are all true. Finals Revenue, Busses, Equipment concerns and future recruiting were all grave concerns. Ask any 13th place corps how difficult recruiting is for the following year. Imagine consecutive years at 13th (85 & 86) and the picture becomes more bleak.

As he is quoted in our 35th Anniversay Video, "2-7", George explains that he did not want the corps to fall from grace and "....dwindle into non-existence. (He) wanted the corps to go out as a Champ!" It took us (8) years to grant George's wish and go out as Champs in 94 at Foxboro.

For the record, if 94 never happened, I would say that 86 was the most rewarding year I ever spent in Drum Corps. The members of the 1986 27th Lancers will always be remembered as the bravest and most pleasant group I have ever worked with.

• Like 1