27th question

You know, I have to say I have really appreciated and enjoyed reading this thread. Before I continue, please allow me a disclaimer that I intend to share a “journey of enlightenment” if you will, as I share feelings of a person 20+ years younger than I am now that aren’t very flattering at first. But then, that’s what enlightenment is all about, isn’t it? Learning, growing and admitting your mistakes.

I can remember back when I first heard of 27 folding, and of what the sign said, I thought the corps was basically folding cause they didn’t make finals. Sure, that’s true in part. But I felt that the underlying reason was driven by a temper tantrum attitude, meaning, “if you don’t like us enough to allow is into Finals, then screw you, we don’t want to play with you anymore.” Now, I seriously can’t remember why I came up with that reasoning. I had very little direct contact with folks in the activity by that time. I doubt it was something I’d read, unless it was a comment by one of my pen pals at the time. Or maybe it was from a girl I used to march with who had actually marched one year with 27 (can’t remember what year though), and came back with some bitter memories. Or, I shudder now to think I could have even come to that conclusion all on my own. I was basically raised by a born skeptic to be a skeptic, and I struggle to this very day to try and wrestle that trait out of my daily vision of the world. All I can remember now is, 27 had always been one of my all-time favorite corps, and when I heard of the corps folding, and the underlying attitude I thought had driven it, I was very, very disappointed. More in the attitude, than in the actual loss to the activity.

Over the years, that feeling of disappointment waned, but the memory of it was still there. While no longer a flaming fire of disappointment, the pilot light was basically still lit. It grew weaker each year, but there was always a small flicker still lit. My respect for the 27 Organization, and the incredible quality product they put on the field never waned though. To this day the 27th Lancers remain one of my all time favorite corps. Over time, I chose to remember the 27th Lancers for what they put on the field, instead of for the disappointing exit from the activity.

Reading this thread has been so enlightening. Reading about your personal experiences, of the hardships you faced, endured and fought through to even put a corps on the field has given me a new found respect for each and every person who took part in making it happen. I can’t begin to say how grateful I am to every member of the 27th Lancers who have shared themselves in this thread, and for all of the other members who shared themselves by performing on the field every year. In sharing your heartbreak over that final year, and the devastating decision to fold, I can finally say that the pilot light has been permanently extinguished.

You know, I have to say I have really appreciated and enjoyed reading this thread. Before I continue, please allow me a disclaimer that I intend to share a “journey of enlightenment” if you will, as I share feelings of a person 20+ years younger than I am now that aren’t very flattering at first. But then, that’s what enlightenment is all about, isn’t it? Learning, growing and admitting your mistakes.

I can remember back when I first heard of 27 folding, and of what the sign said, I thought the corps was basically folding cause they didn’t make finals. Sure, that’s true in part. But I felt that the underlying reason was driven by a temper tantrum attitude, meaning, “if you don’t like us enough to allow is into Finals, then screw you, we don’t want to play with you anymore.” Now, I seriously can’t remember why I came up with that reasoning. I had very little direct contact with folks in the activity by that time. I doubt it was something I’d read, unless it was a comment by one of my pen pals at the time. Or maybe it was from a girl I used to march with who had actually marched one year with 27 (can’t remember what year though), and came back with some bitter memories. Or, I shudder now to think I could have even come to that conclusion all on my own. I was basically raised by a born skeptic to be a skeptic, and I struggle to this very day to try and wrestle that trait out of my daily vision of the world. All I can remember now is, 27 had always been one of my all-time favorite corps, and when I heard of the corps folding, and the underlying attitude I thought had driven it, I was very, very disappointed. More in the attitude, than in the actual loss to the activity.

Over the years, that feeling of disappointment waned, but the memory of it was still there. While no longer a flaming fire of disappointment, the pilot light was basically still lit. It grew weaker each year, but there was always a small flicker still lit. My respect for the 27 Organization, and the incredible quality product they put on the field never waned though. To this day the 27th Lancers remain one of my all time favorite corps. Over time, I chose to remember the 27th Lancers for what they put on the field, instead of for the disappointing exit from the activity.

Reading this thread has been so enlightening. Reading about your personal experiences, of the hardships you faced, endured and fought through to even put a corps on the field has given me a new found respect for each and every person who took part in making it happen. I can’t begin to say how grateful I am to every member of the 27th Lancers who have shared themselves in this thread, and for all of the other members who shared themselves by performing on the field every year. In sharing your heartbreak over that final year, and the devastating decision to fold, I can finally say that the pilot light has been permanently extinguished.

Wow what a nice thing to say. To come clean like that. You didn't have to you know. But I respect that. I had no idea that some might consider our departure in that light. I'm just glad we were able to dispel those rumors.

I'm sure there are those that didn't have the best experience with the corps. I can understand why. I was always having to prove myself worthy to be a Lancer and prove myself as an out of stater. Finally, after years of enduring pranks and silly initiations (which I was told later on that they did those things cause they LIKED ME), I was accepted when I kept coming back for more..lol. (I would've hated to see what they did if they didn't like me). b**bs I mean I endured 3 years of it because the last year I felt we could do it, that we could bring the corps back into finals. Plus the prospect of aging out as a 27th Lancer alumni was appealing to me as well. It was not always a rosy ride for me either, but as Ms. Patti used to tell me (a volunteer), "You're a Lancer, get your ### back up in there and give it all you've got", when I'd feel like giving up.

We needed that extra money that the top 12 gave you when you made finals. Even if we made finals, I wonder if we would've come back? I don't know, I've asked George B., even he doesn't know because of the buses and other things, (Bingo laws in Mass. etc).

Anyway...I'm glad this thread has helped you to understand our situation better.

This thread has been special for me in that it gives me some place to come and heal my wounds. That was my age out year and missing finals was bad enough, but to fold on that hill..wow, somebody get me a beer.

The pictures shared in this thread have been awesome memories for me. The things that staff who were there that said make me feel very special for what we went through. They know, they were there pushing us along.

You'd think after 20 years I could get over it. But I guess you never really do. I'm so blessed to be a part of one of the original founding corps of DCI, as you are.

I love the Troopers and was heart broken when they suffered the fate they did last year but am so glad they're back! :huh:

Edited by Lancerlady

Amen to everything Steph said. coming in 13th in 85 was tough. Coming in 13th in 86 was devastating. 87 would have been my age out year and I didn't march. I just couldn't bear aging out anywhere other than with the 27th Lancers, as a rookie no less.

Before I continue, please allow me a disclaimer that I intend to share a “journey of enlightenment” if you will, as I share feelings of a person 20+ years younger than I am now that aren’t very flattering at first. But then, that’s what enlightenment is all about, isn’t it? Learning, growing and admitting your mistakes.

So true. I can remember feeling quite bitter towards Spirit of Atlanta back in my marching days. They had the big bucks, and they got some of Oakland's coveted staff members, as well as several talented members. So I recall feeling quite envious of their financial status that enabled them to attract those people, which of course accelerated the "talent drain" that Oakland was already experiencing.

Of course, when that awful tragedy occurred with Jim Ott's death in 1980, that pretty much obliterated those feelings I'd had. It's one of life's lessons that no one is immune from bad things happening, no matter how much money or status they may seem to have. And, as the years have passed, I've come to understand why people made the decisions that they did. I can honestly say that if I were in those circumstances, and had the opportunity to join a corps like Spirit, I would've jumped at it. My loyalty to Oakland at the time blinded me to a lot of this, however. But as you say, enlightenment is really all about learning, growing and admitting your mistakes. Great post, Marianne!

Nm then.

Edited by Lancerlady

• 1 month later...

Nm then.

uote]

I know this thread has been dead for a while but while was visiting my family I found this picture of a very small part of the banner the corps carried at finals in 86. I think the people in the background are Steven Brabson and his sister Julia.

IMAGE7.jpg