As if GE judging wasn't weird enough...

It is all about making it a big show and trying to get the wow factor of I can not believe that happened. DO people really think that most of those items are predetermined by hevay influence. Maybe not the exact numbers that end on the sheet but where things fall. As in any activity that is subjectively judged there will never be a way to get a true an consistent assessment of the product and performance.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is surprising to see how much the *relative* GE visual scores (that is, placements in this caption) changed through the 3 nights of Championships. I would think that GE, unlike the performance captions, is fairly set by the time corps reach Championships week. Either you got it or you don't by that point.

The GE music scores fluctuated across the 3 nights, but the placements were remarkably constant except for a few very close cases. The GE visual placements were all over the place: Boston Crusaders drop from 8th to 11th. Blue Knight jump from a bottom-6 pack into a top-6 pack. Cavaliers drop to 3rd. Cadets are 4th on Thursday and Saturday, but drop quite a bit on Friday.

I suppose GE is one of the most subjective captions and is more challenging to evaluate as a judge. But does this inconsistency indicate that the judging system needs better training in the GE Visual caption? Or is so much movement justified based on relative performance level throughout the week? If every GE judge in DCI evaluated all the coprs across three nights of Championships, and THEN compared scores - how much deviation would there be?

I am not a fan of "slotting" corps just for the sake of judging consistency, but think that movement in placements should be more in the performance captions that in GE. Or am I misunderstanding the GE criteria?

It is surprising to see how much the *relative* GE visual scores (that is, placements in this caption) changed through the 3 nights of Championships. I would think that GE, unlike the performance captions, is fairly set by the time corps reach Championships week. Either you got it or you don't by that point.

The bolded portion of the quote is precicely why many of us would like to see the emphasis on GE reduced. It has less to do with the execution of the show on any given night.