As if GE judging wasn't weird enough...

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the same GE judges as Atlanta when this was also messed up. Maybe they forgot which GE they were supposed to judge?

This is why you should get rid of the two judges and have just ONE judge adjudicating overall effect. Lower the GE score to 30, and give it to one judge. The way we judge GE nowadays is not "general" at all, it might as well be called "specific" effect.

They definitely need to do something to fix it, cause as it is now, it's just silly.

My thoughts exactly. Perhaps, tonight every performance was a little skewed.

They definitely need to do something to fix it, cause as it is now, it's just silly.

I really don't get how Cavaliers don't win GE Visual. And I don't get how PR doesn't win GE Music.

Just goes to show me, for the umpteenth time, that I don't really know what the GE judges look for.

But I still think there should be just one GE judge.

This is why you should get rid of the two judges and have just ONE judge adjudicating overall effect. Lower the GE score to 30, and give it to one judge. The way we judge GE nowadays is not "general" at all, it might as well be called "specific" effect.

Good idea, but I would stick with 2 judges judging overall effect and average the score.

Not sure I want one judge in charge of 30% of the score.

Still, good idea.

I really don't get how Cavaliers don't win GE Visual. And I don't get how PR doesn't win GE Music.

Just goes to show me, for the umpteenth time, that I don't really know what the GE judges look for.

But I still think there should be just one GE judge.

I would not want to give 30 points to ONE person.

If you have to go General for effect, go two judges both looking at the same time.

I think the problem with the current system is that if you have a different one for each part, how do you judge parts of the show that are specifically designed to marry the two captions? For example, making music effects to accentuate the drill, or vice versa. That could lead to crappy music but really cool drill or really cool music but mediocre drill, even if the total effect is amazing. That's why maybe a caption for just overall effect is better, even if it is broken up to two judges.

I also don't get how Cavaliers did not win Visual GE. They had the most interesting and effective visual book(again) except for maybe SCV. But Cavies pulled it off better.