DCI's Future - A Modest Proposal

DCI should divide the Division I corps according to music content of each corps' program.

I propose two categories:

1. Classic Category -- corps in this division would play only adaptations of any known musical composition, including classical, jazz, pop, Broadway, Latin, brass bands, gospel, etc., etc., etc. This category would be nick-named the "Audience Mass Appeal" (AMA) category. No props would be allowed in the AMA category.

2. Original Category -- corps in this division would play only original musical scores as is currently the case for most Division I corps. This category would be nick-named the "Totally Boring Crap" (TCB) division. Props are encouraged (since the music is so uninteresting, anyway).

At the start of the competiton season, a judging panel would decide on each corps' music category placement. Division II and III corps would be required to play music that fits the AMA category, so as to broaden the appeal of the drum corps activity among youth and the audience that supports them.

At DCI Championship week, Thursday night would be the finals night for Division I TCB corps. Friday night would be the finals night for Division I AMA corps. There is no need for semis or quarters. The top four corps in each category would advance to a final showdown on Saturday night -- the overall Champion and other placements would be decided by an AUDIENCE VOTE of those attending the Saturday show. Those who pay get to decide which corps wins -- what could be more democratic.

There it is -- Let's get DCI back on track before dies from the TCB syndrome.

Jon

Just as background, I marched and played in a Division I corps (AMA-type), but it was some time ago. I have been to 3 DCI Championships and 2 DCA Championships in the last 10 years. This year in Madison, I went to some of the Div II/III prelims, some of I&E, some of Div I semis, and all of the Quarterfinals. I ended up selling my Div I Finals tickets -- this is known as "VOTING WITH YOUR FEET." Sorry DCI, but I will not be back again -- ever.

The way you have this divided up, there is no way it works, and corps would be shifting back and forth between divisions.

If you stay away from defining the music this can work better. This needs to be more general in approach. For instance:

1. Division I - Open Class

This would include traditional-type corps presentations. No amps, no singing, no mics, no woodwinds, no electronics -- ever! But props, sure, why not. SCV used props in the late 80s to great effect. But this division is all acoustic.

2. Division I - World Class

This would include shows with amps, mics, mic'd voice, electronics such as synthesizers and electric guitars, lighting, samplers, and more. But no woodwinds! Piccolos are allowed for effect since they have some historic tie to drum corps as the Fife.

Each division competes at separate shows and also at many of the same shows, but the corps are judged on different sheets and put in separate categories. A World Champion is crowned from each division.

Now, not that I am in favor of this, but this could potentially work.

Edited by jwillis35

DCI should go back to being drum corps...it was a one kind entertainment venue. If Iwanted to see a broadway production I'd go NYC...I pretty much gave up on DCI a few years ago like a lot of us.....boring!!!!!!!