That wasn't cool!

Okay. These things were not cool in Madison.

1. Retreat fun and games. I appreciate the three corps who remembered how to behave at retreat. Kudos to SCV, Cadets and Phantom. I was apalled to see kids on cell phones in the block. I was also shocked to see members reacting when corps placements were announced. Raising your arms in the air when a corps is announced as placing lower than you has never been a part of retreat. (Thanks to PR for playing to Cavies - that was cool)

2. Booing a hall of fame member. I don't care what your opinion of George Hopkins is, he is a DCI hall of fame member. I was very embarrased that the crowd would boo during an award ceremony. Write your congressman, but don't ruin that moment.

3. Talking on cell phones during shows. If you must talk on a cell phone during a corps' performance, then please step outside, Doctor. A lady behind me in semis gave out scores and described shows. Rude.

4. The exit during the big break in quarters. Kind of bad planning there DCI and Camp Randall folks. It took forever to exit as they only had like one gate open and they were stamping hands at the same time. Not cool.

5. Never Walk? I was really shocked that the Scout Alumnis did not play or sing Never Walk. The crowd was there and yours for the taking. Bummer.

6. Complaining about the age out ceremony. Get over it. You will have to wait for a bit to get that last score on Friday. It happens. Whining about how things used to be and that you have been here all day don't really matter - let the age outs/I and E winners and scholarship folks have their moment.

Thoughts? Others?

Mike

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

6. Complaining about the age out ceremony. Get over it. You will have to wait for a bit to get that last score on Friday. It happens. Whining about how things used to be and that you have been here all day don't really matter - let the age outs/I and E winners and scholarship folks have their moment.

Well, yeah, it does matter, because they're producing a show for paying customers. DCI has a responsibility to run a tight ship and they didn't. I & E is completely irrelevant to the majority of the ticketholders; there is no excuse for that segment to run as long as it did when the fans, who paid around $40 or more for this event, have been waiting all night to hear the Madison Scouts alums. Furthermore, it's impolite to the Scouts themselves to make them wait for the self-indulgent I&E ceremonies to conclude. It's as if 15,000 rabid fans were being held hostage.

Booing a hall of fame member. I don't care what your opinion of George Hopkins is, he is a DCI hall of fame member. I was very embarrased that the crowd would boo during an award ceremony. Write your congressman, but don't ruin that moment.

That is really a shame. I do not agree with some of the things he has done, but come on. He has done a lot of great things leading the Cadets all these years. He rightfully deserves to be in the HOF, and we should Congratulate him on that, even if we disagree on some issues.

Definately I & E, age outs deserve their time. we always say this is about the members (kids). Then let it be and ENJOY all of it. Including the extra ceremony stuff. I failed to march my age out year and it was IMO one of the single biggest mistakes I ever made. Ea year I am so proud of all the age outs - it is truly emotional for them and in a way I share that emotion.

5. Never Walk? I was really shocked that the Scout Alumnis did not play or sing Never Walk. The crowd was there and yours for the taking. Bummer.

Maybe the big officials felt the program was running to long. They did do it Wednesday night tho.

Mike

Jon Schipper played the beginning You'll Never Walk Alone as the Honor Guard entered the stadium at the beginning of the show. Perhaps the roar of the crowd covered this up? I could hear it clearly in the tunnel. Of course, I was about 15 yards away from him. We also sang You'll Never Walk Alone after we came off the field. It hasn't been a part of a Madison Scouts field show since 1970 (just checked Corps Reps to be sure), and as important as that song is to us, I think it was featured properly. Did you really think we didn't take the crowd with what we played?

-Ben

Well, yeah, it does matter, because they're producing a show for paying customers. DCI has a responsibility to run a tight ship and they didn't. I & E is completely irrelevant to the majority of the ticketholders; there is no excuse for that segment to run as long as it did when the fans, who paid around $40 or more for this event, have been waiting all night to hear the Madison Scouts alums. Furthermore, it's impolite to the Scouts themselves to make them wait for the self-indulgent I&E ceremonies to conclude. It's as if 15,000 rabid fans were being held hostage.

Or you could have been smart like the people in my section were and called people at home...scores were up online. I was given (corretly) the BD and Cavie score about 15 minutes before it was announced. Sorry 10:46 pm, the published time the Scouts Alums were to go on, which was posted before the show, was well past your bed time. Where else did you have to go that was so important that night?

Also, give some of these kids their moments in the spotlight for the I & E winners. How many times is the Colt Cadet girls who won the dance I & E portion ever going to get to stand up in front of 15,000 people and have them cheer for them at this point in their lives. Hopefully they will be lucky enough to march for many years to come and get some great crowd reactions, but I'm sure to them that was pretty #### special and worth the extra 10 minutes you had to wait.

Or you could have been smart like the people in my section were and called people at home...scores were up online. I was given (corretly) the BD and Cavie score about 15 minutes before it was announced. Sorry 10:46 pm, the published time the Scouts Alums were to go on, which was posted before the show, was well past your bed time. Where else did you have to go that was so important that night?

Also, give some of these kids their moments in the spotlight for the I & E winners. How many times is the Colt Cadet girls who won the dance I & E portion ever going to get to stand up in front of 15,000 people and have them cheer for them at this point in their lives. Hopefully they will be lucky enough to march for many years to come and get some great crowd reactions, but I'm sure to them that was pretty #### special and worth the extra 10 minutes you had to wait.

So let them have it after the Scouts play.

The members who wish to perform in I&E know up to many years in advance that come Friday night , there will be a ceremony to thank them for their successes should they win their caption.

Yes, we waited a little longer to hear the Madison Scouts alums. And the wait was more than worth the time. It couldn't have been any more special had we heard them a half hour earlier.

"Sorry, kid. We know you won, but we need your time of honor for a special performance."

There had to be members of the Scouts alumni corps who had once stood in that line waiting to be honored in front of their peers and the full stadium audience. Let's ask them if we should have cancelled that part of the ceremonies in order to get the alumni corps on the field earlier.

Jon Schipper played the beginning You'll Never Walk Alone as the Honor Guard entered the stadium at the beginning of the show. Perhaps the roar of the crowd covered this up? I could hear it clearly in the tunnel. Of course, I was about 15 yards away from him. We also sang You'll Never Walk Alone after we came off the field. It hasn't been a part of a Madison Scouts field show since 1970 (just checked Corps Reps to be sure), and as important as that song is to us, I think it was featured properly. Did you really think we didn't take the crowd with what we played?

-Ben

No. You had the crowd. We were just expecting it (at least in my section) I totally missed Schipper playing. I did hear him and Phat Phunction the night before though. That was great!

Mike

They didn't announce the Madison Scouts Alumni Corps, and several people in our part of the stands left, without even knowing what was coming up. <**> <**> Were they mentioned in the program or anywhere else? I never even saw a program.